Ms2i and SR225i
Jun 27, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #2 of 20
Though I haven't heard either the SR225 is generally considered the "sweet spot" of the Grado line while the MS2 is the odd one of the 3 Alessandro phones. The MS2 is more in your face, aggressive and harsh sounding compared to the MS-1 and MS-Pro. The MS2 is technically the better phone though as it is based on the SR325.

Jun 27, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #3 of 20
The MS2i's have more bass extension as well. I own a pair of SR225s and had the opportunity to hear the MS2i's. I actually really enjoy the MS2i's, but that is just a personal preference. If you are looking to purchase one of the two without an opportunity to audition both you may be better off choosing the SR225s because I think a greater amount of people prefer the 225s. Again, a lot of whether a person likes a headphone or not is based on personal preference so my advice is really only my opinion!

Jun 27, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #4 of 20
I had the 225s and had them woodied then I sold them to get the MS-2.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #5 of 20
While I can't comment on the 225i version, all I can say is the 225 pretty much is the quintessential Prestige Series Grado, and if want a summary of what Grados are all about, look no further than the 225. You definitely have that Grado midrange, there's bass but not much in quantity, and of course, the issue of fatiguing highs.

With the MS2i, I feel like they're very different from the Prestige line of Grados. They have more bass extension without the fatiguing highs. And while they are considered the neutral Grado (as Alessandro's are known for), they are very different from the MS-1 and Pro. They're sound signature is more pronounced yet more balanced than the 225 (more even spread across the spectrum)

In my personal experience, I personally enjoyed both, and actually preferred the mids of the 225 over the MS2i, but the lack of fatigue and bass extension won me over

Jun 27, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #6 of 20
Yes, if you are looking for noticeable "oomph" when bass is considered, then the 225 may not be the 'phone for you. I always loved the 225 (earlier version) for rock and milder, unplugged folkier stuff, but they are certainly not the best option for electronic music or hip-hop. ESPECIALLY not hip-hop. I haven't heard the MS-2 recently, but if the 325is has about as much bass as the Alessandro, then that would be the way to go if you listen more to the latter. ... Actually, as far as open headphone designs go, I wonder what would be the best option for hip-hop, old school funk, etc.?

Jun 28, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #9 of 20
I think the lack of revelry has something to do with the Alessandro MS-2i not being upgraded this year yet. We now have the MS-1i, but no upgrade to the driver/cables for its older sibling. Is it really conceivable that all this energy that they are putting into the HF-2 is slowing down revisions to the Alessandro line? Weird. Also, would it kill Alessandro to update their website with pics of their headphones that aren't several years outdated. The lack of upkeep is saying something...
frown.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #10 of 20
It can definitely be a factor, if you wander over to the MS-1i threads, there's a lot of people not getting their orders even for the improved MS-1 version. I think I would definitely bite if they released an MS-2i "Improved" version.

Jun 29, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #11 of 20
Yeah... as it's already in silver, it sounds a bit funny dubbing it the "MS-2ii". Still, wouldn't mind an official revision. I've heard the Grado 325is that I'm pretty keen on, but would really like to make a comparison with a newer MS-2i(i). Maybe I'll go the cheaper MS-1i route first to see if Alessandro's my cup of tea.

Jun 30, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #13 of 20
Nice fellas!
wink.gif
I love the product, don't get me wrong... but that's the sort of behavior that undermines customer loyalty. Then again, maybe they've been responding to this question ad nauseum and their PR skills are wearing a bit thin. Still looking forward to an official improved version, if it ever happens.

Jun 30, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #15 of 20
There is little need for petty updates if the product is already fine as is: I think the new revised edition would only result in a slightly thicker cable with basically no change in sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back