MS2 vs DR 150? Long
Jan 17, 2007 at 2:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Tyler J

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,
This is my first post after a long time lurking so go easy on me. I have been spending alot of time on this forum and so far I have an 8 gig nano, PMX 100s and some DT 770 80s (guitar center). The Beyers sound suprisingly good out of the nano but I can tell they need more juice. I bought them primarily to play games at night while the wife sleeps and they have been perfect for that (Denon 5700 headphone jack). I bought the senns to play out of the nano while I work out and like them too. My dad has the senn 595s and they don't have the detail I crave.

I am now looking for some open, punchy cans that have a more detailed sound for music. I am trying to avoid buying an amp because I don't want to carry it around and will be doing my listening at home thru the Denon. I listen to alot of different kinds of music including old jazz like Miles and Coltrane, some rock like The Doors, Zeplin and Pearl Jam, and some newer stuff like Beck and Radio Head.

I guess I like a brighter sound because I just don't get the sound I am looking for from these phones. After years of searching and switching (my poor wallet) I have found my perfect home speakers, Monitor Audio RS6, if that helps anybody. Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to give as much info as possible. I am considering the Docs or the MS2s ($300 is the most I will spend). Am I missing anything? Thanks to everyone on this forum, you guys have been alot of help.

Jan 17, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #2 of 11
From reading your post it sounds like the Docs would meet your requirements. They are efficient enough to make an amp unnecessary to drive them. They do improve as most headphones do with an amp to eek out a little more detail and air, but they can easily be driven from most DAPs or CDPs. They have a nice punchy bass, and a nice high end as well. The sub $150.00 price tag certainly is appealing as well.

Jan 17, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #4 of 11
Seconding the docs...
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 17, 2007 at 12:25 PM Post #5 of 11
I bought MS-1s and then MS2i later trying to match my Axiom Audio M3s and then M50s, so I sorta know where you're coming from. The M50s are slightly forward kinda bright speakers, and so are the MS2i.

I haven't heard the docs so I can't help you there, but for most of your requirements, the MS2i just sorta slide right on in!

They don't do a great job with gaming since the soundstage isn't all that great, but for music, they are very detailed and capable of all types of tunes other than the biggest of the classical pieces. And they do a great job with my Onkyo receiver so I expect should do well with your Denon!

Jan 17, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #6 of 11
Thanks F107,
I actually used to have the Axiom M22, VP150, QS8 and they were the best 5.0 system I have ever heard for the less than $1000 I paid for them. It is good to know the MS2s will sound good over the Denon. Has anybody heard the Docs vs any of the Grados?

Jan 17, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler J /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anybody heard the Docs vs any of the Grados?

Yeah, I've heard just about all of the Grados, but I haven't heard the Alesandro's. I actually prefer the Docs over the 325i's. Once you climb above that point in the Grado lineup however the story changes. Not sure if that helps or not. The detail the Docs have for they're pricepoint is phenominal, and they have a much wider soundstage than even the RS1's. Throw the comfort factor into the mix, and it's no contest for me.

Jan 18, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #8 of 11
Looks like the Docs are in my future. It will also be nice to save the $150. Now does anybody know where I can get them online for a good price? I can't seem to find them for less than MSRP.

Jan 18, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Etrips /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More than likely, you will have to order them from across the pond. But let me reassure you, it is completely worth it.

Come to the Doc side...
evil_smiley.gif

Audio Advisor now carries the Goldring line of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back