Quote:

Originally Posted by bobby001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado C-Pads, Grado Pads

but it's more expensive than the MS1
wink.gif

Yep c-pads from Headphile.com

I have them for mine.

Dec 13, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #17 of 24
I suppose I should add musical tastes: A very wide range of music sans hip-hop/rap. Some classical on occasion, but not that much.

To give you an idea, my most current rotation includes: KMFDM, the Pogues, Garbage, VAST, Conjure One, BT, Colin Hay, Poe, Rush and NIN...

The Dr150s seem really intriguing. I had never heard of them, but after reading several threads, they seem to be outstanding, or at least the FOTM. Might be the compromise I am looking for, but at $150 + shipping, a bit more than I wanted to pay, but I suppose that's head-fi for you. I have to say that I love that you can easily upgrade the stock IC.

However, I've been re-listening to my MS1s on and off all day. I've tried the MS1s with both the stock comfies and the bowls. I am beginning to think that maybe the discomfort I'm feeling from them is actually in large part, listening fatigue. I don't know if it's their brightness or their aggressiveness or a lack of soundstage. I just seem to get a headache after listening to them for a couple of hours (at low volume).

Maybe the real problem is that the Grado sound isn't for me (at least not for extended periods of time). If that were the case, it seems that the DR150 might be similarly aggressive and exhausting. Maybe the AD700s (which I can get for a few buck more than $100) might be better choice given their comfort ratings and their expanded sound stage (or at least from what I've read in the forums). I was also looking on the forums about the HD555 which have mixed reviews. I've owned some cheap Sennheiser's in the past but with that caveat, I was always underwhelmed by them. They were somewhat murky in the bass, or just flat overall... or maybe, what I'm trying to express, is that I found them boring.

The AD700s seem like they might be what I'm looking for. That being said, has anyone done a comparison between the DR150s and the AD700s?

Or maybe a better question is that if I didn't like the MS1 style of sound am I going to dislike the DR150 sound?

Oh and on a completely random aside, I just wanted to thank all of your for your help and suggestions, I really do appreciate it and your time.

Dec 13, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #18 of 24
Try bending the headband out to reduce that relentless, skull-crushing Grado grip. They used to include that hint in the boxes, in the old days. I've left mine alone because I use it on the go - it's better to have a tight fit when you're moving... otherwise, stretch it out to fit comfortably.

Dec 14, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #19 of 24
I thought the head-fi equation was

ms-1's + hd414 pads = comfort?

Dec 14, 2007 at 10:30 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by arevalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the head-fi equation was

ms-1's + hd414 pads = comfort?

That's what I would have recommended in a usual case
wink.gif

But obviously, it's not about the comfort. If the OP doesn't like the sound of the MS1, he should probably try another headphone.

But I'm somewhat confused as I don't know which headphone you might like. Why are you looking for something similar to the MS1 when it's the sound you do not like? Maybe you should try out something completely different?

Dec 14, 2007 at 10:48 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by sai-bot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what I would have recommended in a usual case
wink.gif

But obviously, it's not about the comfort. If the OP doesn't like the sound of the MS1, he should probably try another headphone.

But I'm somewhat confused as I don't know which headphone you might like. Why are you looking for something similar to the MS1 when it's the sound you do not like? Maybe you should try out something completely different?

Really? What am I missing?

Quote:

So after reading through numerous posts I ended up purchasing the MS1s. I really do enjoy them and I love their sound, but... I can only wear them for short periods of time. No matter what mods I try, they are just not comfortable. I spend hours in front of a computer and listening to music and I need something I can wear for extended periods of time.

To me, it seems like he's looking for comfort, no?

edit.

Sorry, you stand correct. I completely missed his most recent post and went from initial post.

Apologies!

Dec 14, 2007 at 10:59 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by arevalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
edit.

Sorry, you stand correct. I completely missed his most recent post and went from initial post.

Apologies!

No problem
tongue.gif
I admit that I missed this second post, too, and was about typing "since OP is not answering..."
biggrin.gif
Then I saw how the story went on. It seems like he should really try another headphone.

Dec 29, 2007 at 11:49 AM Post #24 of 24
Physically speaking, the MS1s are really comfortable to me. The brightness is pretty darn intense though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back