MS1i vs. ATH-M50 vs ATH-ES7
May 12, 2010 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mindy123

Head-Fier
Which is best for electro-house music? Or techno as some people call it. At first I was just considering the M50 and the ES7 but I have heard that the MS1i might have better sound?

May 12, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #2 of 12
For your genre the M50 is better than either the ES7 or the MS1i. MS1i's presentation is more suitable for other genres compared to the M50, which is near perfect at its price point for house and electronica. Might I suggest though the Shure SRH750 DJ, been pimping these for a while now as an upgrade to the M50.

May 12, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #3 of 12
Sigh, probably the M50 :frowning2: 

Get the MS-1s though, just to break the FOTM trend :D

May 13, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #4 of 12
Yep M50s sound like they suit your needs best. Definitely look at the shures mentioned above though.

May 13, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
For your genre the M50 is better than either the ES7 or the MS1i. MS1i's presentation is more suitable for other genres compared to the M50, which is near perfect at its price point for house and electronica. Might I suggest though the Shure SRH750 DJ, been pimping these for a while now as an upgrade to the M50.

As an upgrade to the M50? They are cheaper though?! Do you know how they compare with the Ultrasone DJ1s?

May 14, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #6 of 12

Quote:

I did look at the Shure ones but don't think they are for me, I forgot to mention that I need the headphones to be portable so I think that means I should go with the ES7s. I am just wondering though if the sound quality will be much better than cheaper IEMs like the Klipsch S4 or Etymotic ER6i?

May 14, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #7 of 12
You might want to also consider that the Es7 is on ear and the m50 is over ear. Some people fail to notice that about the ES-7's.
Me, personally i listen to trance and i prefer closed headphones usually, but on ears work as well. 

As far as IEM's go, the ideal ones are the CK10's from Audio Technica for EDM. 

May 14, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #8 of 12
i never enjoyed electronic music like I do with the M50.  i currently love them more than my D5000 for electronica because they pronounce the mids much better than the D5000 recessed ones, and in the style i like there are a lot of female vocals.
can i ask what  the shures 750 dj do better than the M50? do they have flatter bass?

May 14, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
You might want to also consider that the Es7 is on ear and the m50 is over ear. Some people fail to notice that about the ES-7's.
Me, personally i listen to trance and i prefer closed headphones usually, but on ears work as well. 

As far as IEM's go, the ideal ones are the CK10's from Audio Technica for EDM. 

Those are way out of my price range, is that how much I would have to spend to get similar sound quality?

I thought the ES7s were closed headphones? What is the difference between on ear and over ear? Are the cans smaller on the ES7 so that they rest on your ear whereas on the M50 they envelop your ear?

May 14, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
i never enjoyed electronic music like I do with the M50.  i currently love them more than my D5000 for electronica because they pronounce the mids much better than the D5000 recessed ones, and in the style i like there are a lot of female vocals.
can i ask what  the shures 750 dj do better than the M50? do they have flatter bass?

IMO the Shures play classical and jazz and lower quality music much more nicely.  They are great at everything, every genre on the 750djs sound great, and its bass is the best out of the shure lineup for sure.  DEEP and powerful, booming.  The M50 are not well rounded cans but they handle rock and mids much better. 

May 14, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:

IMO the Shures play classical and jazz and lower quality music much more nicely.  They are great at everything, every genre on the 750djs sound great, and its bass is the best out of the shure lineup for sure.  DEEP and powerful, booming.  The M50 are not well rounded cans but they handle rock and mids much better. 

Are the 750djs portable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back