MS1i For Movies/TV Shows
May 20, 2010 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Zwyguy

New Head-Fier
Don't get the wrong idea, I don't have the intent of purchasing these for the purpose of not listening to music. That would be sacrilege! I'm just curious how they would perform if I were to plug them into my computer while I watch movies and the like. I have my mind set on picking a pair of these up and this won't dissuade me, it's just that, at the moment, I'm using iPod headphones...

May 20, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #3 of 23
If they are anything like my grados, and from everything I've read they are in fact very much like grados, then they are likely a poor choice for movies. Most films really need a wide soundstage to sound right. With grados, everything just sounds compressed. Also, I'd imagine that they lack the proper low end as well. At least for me, when I watch a movie and something explodes, I want to be able to feel it explode as much as hear it. So the lack of sub-bass pretty much disqualifies many headphones in my mind from being used to watch films.

May 20, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #4 of 23
I'd have to agree with the above post. While I don't have the MS1's, I just got my SR60i's and they sound incredible with music (especially rock). The only complaints I have is that they have a small soundstage and not enough bass. From what I had read I thought they would have terrible comfort but so far I'm pleasantly surprised.
I guess you could use them for movies and tv shows but I wouldn't get them if that is going to be their primary purpose. They should do in a pinch though.

May 20, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #5 of 23
They're okay for movies and tv, but not ideal. What you want is the AD700.

May 20, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #6 of 23
THey would work but something like the DT440 or AD700 will perform better.  THe MS-1 might be better for music depending on your taste.

May 20, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #8 of 23
MS1i is really great for music, and for movies, it's not that bad, but the competitor like AD700 will give you better result, yeah AD700 has lack bass compare to MS1i, but the soundstage is really great 
regular_smile .gif

note: MS1i has better bass than SR60i, and Alessando has more laidback sound than Grado, so I guess you'll feel the soundstage in Alessandro is better than Grado (FYI, my fav headphone is MS1i, and I own it)

May 20, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #9 of 23
Thanks for all your input guys. Like I said though, the main purpose of these would most definitely be music and from what I've read they will suit me fine. I was just curious what people had to say about their performance in these areas since, unless I pick up another pair, I will undoubtedly be swapping them out for my iPod headphones while at my computer.  

May 20, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #10 of 23
Well if the choice is between iPod headphones and pretty much anything over $20, the latter will be the better option, so I'd say just go for the MS-1 at your computer.

May 21, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #14 of 23
Which is what he'll endeavour to avoid doing :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back