MS1i Burn In= ALOT Better?
Sep 28, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #2 of 14
IMO, burn-in is more psychological than physical in nature and I've never A/B'ed identical headphones (one burned in and one not). That being said, I always run around ~75-100 hours of my burn-in playlist through my gear when I buy new.

I think that burning in your headphones helps as much as turning off the lights when you listen to music does, it just increases your enjoyment of the music.

Sep 28, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #3 of 14
you'll get answers ranging from "burn in doesn't exist" to "burn in is like magicks omg." personally i think it's probably a combination of the drivers settling in and your ears becoming accustomed to the sound. if you hate the way the MS1i sounds it probably wont change into something you love after burn in. in my experience my grados did sound better after listening for a while and burning in with pink noise, but i wouldn't consider it "extreme." might've just been my brain learning to appreciate the sound but i do think they sound better (less harsh, cleaner) than straight out of the box.

Sep 28, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, burn-in is more psychological than physical in nature and I've never A/B'ed identical headphones (one burned in and one not). That being said, I always run around ~75-100 hours of my burn-in playlist through my gear when I buy new.

I think that burning in your headphones helps as much as turning off the lights when you listen to music does, it just increases your enjoyment of the music.

What does your burn in playlist consist of? And I have just bought these headphones as well. They should be here next week or so. I am so excited.
biggrin.gif
My first pair of Hi-Fi real headphones.

Sep 28, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodlover77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
damn.
thanks for the honest answers though.
hopefully you could help me with another problem, how the eff can i make these bowls more comfortable. i can only listen to 30-45 minutes at a time.

Buy some comfies, they don't call them comfy for nothing.
wink.gif

Sep 28, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy some comfies, they don't call them comfy for nothing.
wink.gif

I actually find the bowls more comfortable than the comfies :O. The bowls I have are nice and broken in though, the comfies rest on my ear and after about 1.5 hours, my ears start to hurt. With bowls, I can go 3 hours easy :p. Bending the headband helps a lot also.

Sep 28, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #10 of 14
The change was a good one. It was mostly me adjusting to the sound and getting use to it (which is the biggest thing), and also it has changed from burn in as well. Got more bassy it seems.

I also quarter modded the comfies, sounded a lot better afterwards. Not keen on the bowls. Haven't tried them and don't think I will.

Sep 28, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #11 of 14
washing the bowls and bending the headband will help you. I use them myself. I've been wearing my headphones for 4 hours at a time lately.

Sep 28, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #12 of 14
IMO, if you are new to the Grado/Alessandro sound, then the burn-in periond will be your brain adjusting to their sound sig. So many people seem to have been exposed to Sennheiser phones first, so that trying Grados is a jolt for many people.

I do think the bass extension improves some with time, but can't say it is a significant difference. The comfy pads are more comfortable, but blurr the sound some for me. Hand wash your bowls in shampoo and conditioner every couple of months to keep them nice and soft.

Sep 28, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #13 of 14
Massive differences. I burned mine for 150-175 hours straight before using them. As I checked in along the way, they were just getting better and better in all musically significant areas. What you hear at 25 hours is not what you hear at 150, and what you here at 150 is probably not what you are going to hear at 300.

Sep 28, 2009 at 12:03 PM Post #14 of 14
Forget the MS1 - they will burn themselves in over the first few weeks
smily_headphones1.gif

Dinan, I notice that you have both the GS1000 and the PS1000, not mention the Edition 8, yet you would seem to have decided to keep the PS1000 over the others - care to comment ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back