MS1 vs MS1i: worth replacing old MS1s?
Nov 5, 2009 at 4:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Phreon

Head-Fier
My old Alessandro/Grado MS1s are getting a little ratty. They still sound fine, but years of listening, tossing into backpacks, etc. has made them show their age. The plastic end caps are missing, the name is worn thin, the headband is funky and I've resoldered the cable back to either transducer at least three times over the years.

Now I see Grado and Alessandro offer improved versions of the SR-125 and MS1. How subtle or pronounced is the difference and what is it? Worth the extra ten bucks from Alessandro? After spending quite a bit of time with my ER-4s, I'm rediscovering how much I like the MS1s; they're "fun" in comparison to the Ety's razor sharp reproduction.

Maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to buy another set of great phones at a fantastic price/performance point.

Thanks,

Phreon

Nov 5, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

They still sound fine, but years of listening, tossing into backpacks, etc. has made them show their age.

;___; Why would you do that?

That being said, if you do decide to get a new pair or upgrade, it'd probably be best if you got a bag or case for them.

Nov 5, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #5 of 13
I tossed 'em in the backpack because, well, I was stupid. However, they always had their own compartment; road use is just hard on any gear. I used to travel for my job and the MS1s + my now deceased JB3 were a welcome respite in many a hotel room.

Given the price, compared to the MS1i, I'm more likely to sidegrade. In this economy, $110 for a pair of headphones is a nice little chunk of change. Any suggestions for other cans a Alessandro/Grado lover to try? Is there a point?

I'm still curious if the "improved" Alessandros have a noticeably different nature than the older ones.

Phreon

Nov 5, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phreon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Given the price, compared to the MS1i, I'm more likely to sidegrade. In this economy, $110 for a pair of headphones is a nice little chunk of change. Any suggestions for other cans a Alessandro/Grado lover to try? Is there a point?

I'm still curious if the "improved" Alessandros have a noticeably different nature than the older ones.

At the first of the year, I upgraded from the SR80 older version to the MS-1i newer version. The difference is better in almost all areas of headphone measurement.

If you take care of them, the $110 spent on them will last you years.

Nov 5, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #7 of 13
I wouldn't imagine that it would be a tremendous step up to the "i" version, but many say there has been a subtle enhancement to the SQ in the newer model. If you are fine with the sound of the old ratty model, I would say stick with it until it finally gives up on you. Or at least keep it as a beat-around pair for travel if you are going to get an MS-1i or further upgrade - yes, the 225(i) or 325i(s) would suit you well - that you hopefully will treat with better care. That said, $99-$109 is fairly cheap and I would not be too upset if my MS-1i's got a few "battle scars" along their journey.

Nov 22, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #8 of 13
I have a quick question. Does the MS1i come with a 1/8 inch plug (that will fit with my iPod)? It's not listed with a mini-plug on the Alessandro website.

Nov 22, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayJay22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a quick question. Does the MS1i come with a 1/8 inch plug (that will fit with my iPod)? It's not listed with a mini-plug on the Alessandro website.

Short answer: yes.
It also comes with a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter.

Nov 22, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayJay22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Mine that arrived yesterday did come fitted with a mini plug (and a full size adapter was supplied)

EDIT: too slow

Nov 22, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #12 of 13
Alright, thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back