MS1 vs DT531
Jul 8, 2004 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

DonCorleone

100+ Head-Fier
Good Day Good Head-Dons.

Soon I will buy new headphones because my HP890 is dead.
I can get MS1 and DT531 for almost the same price, the 531 is about 40 dollars more expensive but If I buy the MS1 I have to niether buy flats or the sennheiser pads. Well let's say I will pay almost the same. But I saw that the DT531 was pretty "hard-driven", 250 ohm so an amp is necessary, or ?
I was hoping that I could wait to buy an amp til' my money is coming in again..

Which of these headphones has the most relaxing/laid-back/non-fatiguing sound ?

I think that's about it !

Thank You.

Jul 8, 2004 at 3:12 PM Post #2 of 11
I'm interested in both of these phones as well. Given what i've read, the MS-1's are about the equivalent of the Grado SR80/SR125 (somewhere in between), but a little more balanced sounding. Even if they are a little more balanced than Grado's, they would still be pretty forward sounding, whereas the reviews of the DT531's have them as the prime "groovalizer"-- warmer sounding, more bouncy, less detailed.

So if you're looking for something less fatiguing, I'm thinking the DT531's would be a better route-- can a Grado & DT531 owner confirm this?

Plus there seems to be quite a demand for the DT531's now that they're discontinued.

Jul 8, 2004 at 3:28 PM Post #4 of 11
appar.. I've read about the same as you so someone please confirm
smily_headphones1.gif

gaah.. This is a tough choice !

Jul 8, 2004 at 3:29 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
So if you're looking for something less fatiguing, I'm thinking the DT531's would be a better route-- can a Grado & DT531 owner confirm this?

Yup, definitely (= hereby confirmed
wink.gif
).

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jul 8, 2004 at 3:34 PM Post #6 of 11
Just for the comfort factor the DT531 are a HUGE improvement from the Grado/Alessandro line. I tried out some of the Grados at a local store and they were unbearable for any amount of time over a minute, at least for me. My ears were right up against this metal grating and it was very uncomfortable. Others don't have a problem but just figured I'd toss in my two cents.

Jul 8, 2004 at 3:40 PM Post #7 of 11
Thank's for the confirming
icon10.gif

The comfort of the MS1 is no worry for me, I've tried grado phones before and they were actually pretty comfie and there pretty small so you can lend your head back on something hard without the headphones moving around. And then I'm worried about the amp-question beacuse I don't afford one right now and isn't an amp for the 531 pretty necessary thinking about there resistance ? But then again I want the laid-back sound.. This is getting harder and harder..
frown.gif

Jul 8, 2004 at 3:45 PM Post #8 of 11
Based on direct comparisons, I though the DT531 generally kicked the SR225 in the nuts. It had better detail, soundstage, comfort, and a more coherent overall sound. Not only that but it out-did the Grado for speed/slam, it's supposed best attribute. Based on that I would definitely think that it should be better than the MS1.

Jul 8, 2004 at 4:08 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Based on direct comparisons, I though the DT531 generally kicked the SR225 in the nuts.

eek.gif
omg those are sweet words.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2004 at 4:20 PM Post #10 of 11
Seeing as how I'm not on a Team yet, I wonder if there is a Team Alessandro versus a Team Grado. If there is, my response would have been "pish posh, snub those 'Grate-os' all you want! I'll listen to the smooth sounds of my MS-1...* All theoretical of course, since my MS-1s aren't here yet. Curse you, 4th of july weekend!

Jul 8, 2004 at 9:49 PM Post #11 of 11
Thank you for all the answers all my Head-Mobsters
icon10.gif
(I'm bored)
Now I think that the DT531 seems to be a pretty clear choice after all.
As is mentioned before I don't have an amp and right now I can't afford one. I have an iPod as a "headsource" so straight out of the iPod these babies probably won't sound much better than my old HP890
tongue.gif
but if I'm hooking up the iPod to my dad's reciver (Sony 5.1, not a top notch just a descent one) wich have a good headphone output would that be enough until' I can afford an amp ?

Thank's again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back