MS1 > SR225?
Mar 30, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 15
I've never heard an SR-225, but after distilling lots of posts, I get the impression that the SQ of the beast, not the "sound" but the sound "quality," is somewhere between MS-1 and MS2i. And probably closer to MS2i than MS-1. I also get the impression that the sound of the SR-225 is pure Grado, but is the most refined of the plastic models and not as bright as the SR-325i. Probably the Grado model not made of wood that would most likely not seem too foreign to an Alessandro fan.

I think that's correct. If not folks; please let me know and I'll modify my notes!

But if I'm right, I suspect that the SR-225 would be a great way to get near the aluminum and leather models in sound quality at 2/3 the price!

Mar 31, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #3 of 15
F107plus5 is right on the money. I had the MS1 and 225 last week, the MS1 was shipped off to another head-fier today. Both were "burned in".
The 225 has more detail, slightly brighter but never harsh, a little lighter on the low end but more defined. The 225 is worth the extra cost, especially since you can get most of your money back from your MS1. Just do it
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 31, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #5 of 15
I love my 225's
icon10.gif
! Detailed (but not sibilant) in the trebel, great mids, and an impactful, tight, detailed bass. These really are great all-rounders for just about everything, except maybe classical (which I don't listen to much).

Mar 31, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by courierdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my 225's
icon10.gif
! Detailed (but not sibilant) in the trebel, great mids, and an impactful, tight, detailed bass. These really are great all-rounders for just about everything, except maybe classical (which I don't listen to much).

well i need to know compared to ms-1's with bowls. i have ms-1's and i use the bowl pads. how do the 225's sound compared to that?

Mar 31, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #7 of 15
When you reflect on upgrade paths, many Headfiers jump to the next step, and although in sounds better, the up- graditis doesn’t go away. If you do get the SR 225s will you still wonder if you should have gone for the shiny aluminum MS2i or even those SR 325is? Many Headfiers acknowledge if they missed some upgrade path steps, they would have saved a bundle along the journey. Maybe you should save that little bit longer or simply bite the bullet and go strait for the aluminum Alessandro grail.

Then again, maybe it is the journey that counts. Enjoy your Grado SR225s.

IMG_0397.jpg

Mar 31, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #8 of 15
I've had the SR80 (bowls), MS1 (comfys), SR225 (bowls + senn yellows) and now the MS2i (bowls) all driven from an EMU 0404 USB off my laptop. I'd rate them as follows:

MS2i >> SR225 > MS1 > SR80

To me, the SR225 were slightly more detailed and a little brighter than the MS1, although I did not find this difference to be that obvious. I found the improvement from the SR225 to the MS2i to be more considerable than from MS1 to SR225. I love the guitars and vocals with the MS2is.

Everyday after work, I listen to SRV's Little Wing and Life Without You (live version) while lying in bed with the MS2is. I just lay back, crank up the volume and relax. The sound is just so crisp and clear, I can't really describe it any other way.

I also have the HD580s and for me, with the music I listen to, the MS2is are much better. The HD580s are my sleep phones. Warm and relaxing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm looking at upgrading my ms-1's, but i'm not willing to shell out as much money for the ms2i so i was wondering if the sr225 sound upgrade is worth the money. how do the sr225's sound compared to ms-1's? thanks.

Mar 31, 2007 at 9:59 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ms1 to 225 isnt a huge step up. stick with ms1 and save up for a big jump.

I really like reading honest post like this. That differs very positivly from the usual "yeah go for it" reflex.

Souperman will not be happy though...

Mar 31, 2007 at 12:12 PM Post #14 of 15
Souperman, my comparison was bowls to bowls. Its only $60-70 to upgrade once you sell your MS1, so it is definitely worth it even though, honestly, they are similar.

Mar 31, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really like reading honest post like this. That differs very positivly from the usual "yeah go for it" reflex.

Souperman will not be happy though...

haha no...actually it makes me happy that i don't have to upgrade, and instead go for the bigger jump later to the ms2i. those are the one's i'm aiming for. might as well just wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back