MS-2 vs. HD-650
Jun 10, 2005 at 5:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Fennario

New Head-Fier
Since they are both around the same price now (seeing a lot of $325 or so for new HD-650s) I was wondering which to get. I listen to a lot of Dead, Rock, some Bluegrass, and Blues. Trouble is that if I get the Allesandros then it will have to be on faith as I havent found a retail outlet here that sells them.

On the burn-in Q, which takes longer to settle down?

Finally, what is the difference btw MS-2, MS-2i and SR-325i?

Jun 10, 2005 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 13
That's a ton of questions lol! If you use the search function you can find entire threads that deal with those questions. here are the bullet points tho-

Rock? Especially for rock like the Dead - I would pick Alessandro over Sennheiser. Jerry Garcia on a Grado is the way to go.

Grados/Alessandros usually take about 40 hours of burn in. Senns may take over 300 (reports are, not based on personal listening)

MS-2 isn't available anymore, used they are a bargain at $200. The MS-2i will sound more neutral than the SR325i, but I can't give you the final word on it since I have yet to hear the "i" series.

Jun 10, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fennario
Since they are both around the same price now (seeing a lot of $325 or so for new HD-650s) I was wondering which to get. I listen to a lot of Dead, Rock, some Bluegrass, and Blues. Trouble is that if I get the Allesandros then it will have to be on faith as I havent found a retail outlet here that sells them.

Second Jahns recommendation... search tool is your friend here lotts of comparisons out there.

I love my MS2 for John Fogerty swamp-rock/bluegrass. His jangly guitar tones sing and ring as though youre on stage with him. His Rickenbacker tone and feedback sounds like youre sitting infront of his cabinet. You can just FEEL the notes swelling inside your head. Lap-steel (John Fogerty & Junior Brown) and slide guitar work sounds equally incredible. Very detailed and articulate. Some tracks you can really hear the pick attack dynamics, just an incredible presentation IMHO.

For texas blues (SRV, Johnny Lang, Eric Johnson)... MS2(i) rules. SRVs rendition of little wing is a beast for most cans. SRVs pick attack is so dynamic, IMHO only Grados/Alessandros capture the subtle quiets and the string-spanking girth of his playing as he digs into his .13s (a VERY heavy string gage).

If you listen closely enough to SRVs rendition of Little Wing you can hear his fender tubes humm in the background. He had his amps turned up to earbleed levels during those sessions.

IMHO Grado/Alessandros are the only cans that do guitar tones right (for the $$$)... everything else lacks dynamics, or colors the sound in some way.

Im going to make a lot of enemies here.... but I like the flat / dry / less colored midrange presentation of the MS2 better for many guitar tones than the SR225... (cringe
biggrin.gif
... bracing for all out flame- call 911
icon10.gif
). Thats just my preference.... havent heard the 325i yet... but will be certain to do so at the san jose meet, my oppinions may change
icon10.gif

A final note... MS2 prices have been dropping rapidly since the MS2i came out. I got mine used for $150 shipped in very good cond, pics below... at that price its an absolute steal.

Garrett

401268_311_full.jpg

401268_308_full.jpg

Jun 10, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #4 of 13
I don't have the MS-2i's, but I have the closely related 325i's. And I have the 650's. If I had to pick one of the two I would pick then 650's. They're very well rounded, and while they don't "rock" as much as my 325i's, they're very well rouned. They can certainly handle rock even if they don't have quite the speed of the 325i's. I don't care for the 325i's with most female vocals. I find the vocals a little thin without that rich and full sound that many of the female vocalists I listen to have. The 650's really shine in that regard. But rock music with male vocals really do sound incredible with the 325i's.

Another important factor to consider is your source and amplification. Synergy is a word that's thrown around a lot here, and yet I still think it's not considered enough. For me, both the 650 and 325i are very different animals with different amps, and with just one amp, I'm not sure I'd be happy with either. But I've found a combo that works for me that allows me to really appreciate what each does well. If your source/amp results in a dry and analytical sound (like my PPAv2), the Senns might help round that out a bit (and they do... it's much more enjoyable, where the 325i's are, to me, almost unlistenable with the PPA). And if your source is overly warm (like my Millett Hybrid), then you might consider the MS-2i's to change things a little (Again, my Senns sound muddled and dull with the Millett, where it really works well with the 325i's).

Good luck with your decision. From experience with the 650's, I can tell you their excellent cans. And while I haven't heard the MS-2i's, knowing what I've read about it's characteristics compared with the 325i's, I'd say they'd be a great can too. Some more research, as Jahn suggested, could help answer how each can will sound when paired with similar equipment to yours, and that should help make the decision a little easier.

HTH,
Ian

Jun 10, 2005 at 6:49 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

For me, that's easy.

In side-by-side comparisons with the HD650, MS-2i win every time.

It's really a preference thing.

Haven't tried the MS-2 and SR-325i, so I can't comment on those.

-Matt

Jun 10, 2005 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 13
I'd find a store that has both SR-325's and HD650's and see which one you like. I like the HD650's for a wider variety of music, but the 325's are amazing too. For me it just depends on my mood.

Jun 10, 2005 at 7:00 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
If you listen closely enough to SRVs rendition of Little Wing you can hear his fender tubes humm in the background. He had his amps turned up to earbleed levels during those sessions.

Yep, that's not a recording error - that's just SRV blasting his amp. That's serious control of your axe when you can be that dynamic, from screaming solos to those light little atmospheric taps/hammers - Grados/Alessandros will pick all of that up! (Glad I'm not the only one to hear that in the Little Wing recording - it's not a distraction, its Flavor!)

Jun 10, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #9 of 13
Just to fill it out a bit more... I'm using a B&K AVP-1030 Preamp as my front end with a digital input from my source. After talking to the folks at B&K they said that the preamp can handle 300ohm cans, but I'm not sure if in the end it would be better to go with the MS-2i/325i because of the low impedance/high current nature of the phones. Overall, right now there is a slightly dry sound and tremendous blackness btwn notes with HD-497s. I would love to hear the details in the music that I'm missing but don't want to end up with a "harsh" sound.

Thanks for all of your insight and input, it's truly appreciated.

Jun 10, 2005 at 8:23 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Just to fill it out a bit more... I'm using a B&K AVP-1030 Preamp as my front end with a digital input from my source. After talking to the folks at B&K they said that the preamp can handle 300ohm cans, but I'm not sure if in the end it would be better to go with the MS-2i/325i because of the low impedance/high current nature of the phones. Overall, right now there is a slightly dry sound and tremendous blackness btwn notes with HD-497s. I would love to hear the details in the music that I'm missing but don't want to end up with a "harsh" sound.

Thanks for all of your insight and input, it's truly appreciated.

If the 497's sound harsh, the grado's definately will.

Jun 10, 2005 at 10:27 PM Post #11 of 13
The 497's aren't harsh, the sound is just sort of dry and lifeless even amped through the B&K- it's 10x better through the amp rather than the iPod though.

I was thinking that the Grado/Allesandro sound would put some spark in the music. The only thing I'm afraid of is that I've read a lot of trash about the "harshness" or "shrillness" of Grado's and dont want to plunk down $300+ on something that's hard to return.

With all that said, however, I've got a pair of Super-Fi's on order and will pull the trigger on the home cans pretty soon. My heart says MS-2i, that little voice in the back of my head (or maybe on my shoulder) is whispering Senn.

The only thing I know for sure is that my wife is going to hit the roof when the June statement arrives.

Jun 23, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #13 of 13
Fennario, IMHO the only way to listen to Jerry is on a Grado (and I listen to a lot of Jerry
orphsmile.gif
) -- I think the MS-2 is a great choice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back