MS-2, Grado 325 and RS-1
Oct 23, 2004 at 1:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jazzjunkie

New Head-Fier
Thinking of getting a pair of Alessandro MS-2. I have both the Grado 325's and RS-1's and would appreciate any guidance from anyone who knows what difference I would see with the MS-2s. My amps would be HR2 and XP7.

Thanks

Oct 23, 2004 at 1:55 PM Post #2 of 11
I have the 325's and the MS2's. I find the MS2's tame the highs of the 325's and add some more bass to the sound. I don't find the 325's to be bright but I prefer the MS-2's. In terms of soundstage, or lack of soundstage (I've been listening to r10's so right now nothing else has soundstage when compared to the r10s) the 325's and MS2's are similar, if not identical. I had RS1's a long time ago and do not remember them enough to compare.

Oct 23, 2004 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 11
i'm good at hearing differences between headphones but still no good at all in describing those differences...at the cincinnati meet 2 weeks ago, edwood did some A/Bing with 325s and MS2s, bowls on both...he decided that the Grados are a bit warmer (or muddier, depending on if the glass is half full or empty) and that the Alessandros are a bit more neutral (or thin, again, depending on how you want to dress it up)...i personnally like the MS2s better than the 325s, which is good for me because those are the ones i have..hope any of this helps, wish i could've heard an RS-1 so i could comment more!

Oct 23, 2004 at 7:34 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by pianomaster
A/Bing with 325s and MS2s, bowls on both...he decided that the Grados are a bit warmer

now, not being judgmental or anything, but in 2 years of this board, i believe that is the first time the 325 has been compared as warmer to *anything*, including fingers on a chalkboard
tongue.gif
(you only know what that means if you're over 40)

Oct 23, 2004 at 7:55 PM Post #5 of 11
plus i'd say either was in ideal form - flats on both please!

Oct 23, 2004 at 8:11 PM Post #6 of 11
Not to hi-jack the thread, but I need more rs-1 and ms2 comparisons. Please!

Oct 24, 2004 at 1:24 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
plus i'd say either was in ideal form - flats on both please!

everybody wanted to, but the only pads we had more than one pair of were bowls...you'd think out of MS2s, 325s, SR-60s, and PS-1s, there'd be at least 2 pair to go around....oh well.

Oct 24, 2004 at 2:32 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by pianomaster
everybody wanted to, but the only pads we had more than one pair of were bowls...you'd think out of MS2s, 325s, SR-60s, and PS-1s, there'd be at least 2 pair to go around....oh well.

note to self - bring all pads in the house to the NYC meet.

Oct 24, 2004 at 4:30 AM Post #9 of 11
I'm just wondering, is there a need for 3 pairs of grado? I mean with the various pads, can you not get enough variation? How about trying other headphones for a real change? What is it that you think is lacking that you want to try another pair of grado's out?

Oct 24, 2004 at 6:39 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I'm just wondering, is there a need for 3 pairs of grado? I mean with the various pads, can you not get enough variation? How about trying other headphones for a real change? What is it that you think is lacking that you want to try another pair of grado's out?

second that. you might even start applying different musical preferences to each pair of headphones, using different ones for different music. this would make sense to me considering you can afford this many high quality cans.

Oct 24, 2004 at 9:01 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I'm just wondering, is there a need for 3 pairs of grado?

Yep. You've gotta have one of each, plastic ,metal, wood. I've got 3 pair, next on the list is the MS2(grado by default).

Bit like my wife asking if I have over 4000 records why do I need more. Because they're out there, they need a loving home,I'm addicted, ...hey you're here on Headfi so you know the story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back