MS-1s vs. SR-80s
Jun 8, 2006 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Ikrit42

100+ Head-Fier
I've had the Alessandro MS-1s for about three months, and I just recently started noticing a that the mids are somewhat flat/weak. So, I borrowed Hembergler's SR-80s, and so far I like the SR-80s alot better.

The bass seems tighter, there actually mids to speak of, and the highs seems crisper.
These, I believe, are ~20 years old (Paul, correct me if I'm wrong).

Has anyone else experienced this midrange weakness?

Also, does anyone know if the SR-80s have changed in the past twenty years, and if I get new SR-80s if, after burn-in, will they be similat to these that I have now?

Jun 8, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 6
I have never listened to ms1's, but I love the SR-80's. The bass is tight and there, the mids stand out brillantly, and the highs are good too, not overly bright to me at all. I honstely do not think I would enjoy the so called "more neutral" sound of that other line as I love this sound.

Jun 8, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #3 of 6
To me that MS-1s are what the SR-60 and 80 should be. The SR-80 bass is too boomy and muddy for my liking. The MS-1s are crisp and tight. The only thing the SR-80s have on the MS-1s are bowls.

Jun 8, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 6
Duke of Eli:

YOu haven't noticed anything wrong w/ the MS-1 mids?
Also: Were the MS-1s you listened to using the comfy pads, or something else?
I've still got the stock comfies, and I think I want to change them, but I'm not sure which ones to get.

Right now, I'm loving the SR-80 sound w/ comfy pads (also WAY more comfortable than the bowls), though it could use a little more detail (which is what i've heard is the drawback of the comfies).

Jun 9, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #6 of 6
You could try putting a hole in the comfies or getting some HD414 pads and putting a hole in them. I haven't noticed any midrange issues with my comfies with a hole in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back