ms-1s too dark: what would solve?
Feb 18, 2006 at 5:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

I3eyond

500+ Head-Fier
new pads? anything?

Feb 18, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #2 of 29
Modding the pads/trying different ones, uh . . getting an sr-80, uh . . going to see a doctor.

Feb 18, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Modding the pads/trying different ones, uh . . getting an sr-80, uh . . going to see a doctor.

what pads would you recommend, and how would they change the sound of my cans?

Feb 18, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia

Um, yeah go see a doc. No I am not making fun of you, you could have wax build up.

Feb 18, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #6 of 29
Have you tried cutting a hole in the stock pads already? If not, you could always try the bowls if you want more highs . . .

Feb 18, 2006 at 5:24 AM Post #7 of 29
Have you tried your MS-1's out of another source other than the Audigy 2 zs ? The A2zs has some bass emphasis and can sound a little veiled in comparison to other sources. You could try turning off the CMSS and any other EQ settings in the Creative control panel.

If you can spend it, you could get radioshack replacement pads or the sennheiser hd414 ones and hole-mod em too.

Feb 18, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #8 of 29
Go to radio shack, get replacement pads, cut a quarter sized hole in the middle, stick em on, and enjoy!

Feb 18, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by comabereni
Possibly your best solution: Sell and buy SR125's.

how would you compare the sounds?

Feb 18, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Go to radio shack, get replacement pads, cut a quarter sized hole in the middle, stick em on, and enjoy!

is the difference in sound pretty big?

Feb 18, 2006 at 5:30 AM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
Have you tried your MS-1's out of another source other than the Audigy 2 zs ? The A2zs has some bass emphasis and can sound a little veiled in comparison to other sources. You could try turning off the CMSS and any other EQ settings in the Creative control panel.

If you can spend it, you could get radioshack replacement pads or the sennheiser hd414 ones and hole-mod em too.

yeah, i was wondering if what i really really need is a new sound card....

i have an extension cable i bought from radio shack.. could this be losing quality?

Feb 18, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by I3eyond
yeah, i was wondering if what i really really need is a new sound card....

i have an extension cable i bought from radio shack.. could this be losing quality?

could be. try plugging it direct and see if you can hear a diff. also, give the can 40-50 hours to settle in of total play time before passing judgment.

Feb 18, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #13 of 29
You guys are nuts telling him to see a doctor.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I3eyond, Ignore them! hehehe Grados have a rep for being bright around here which is true for the ones that have bowl pads on them. They are a little on the dry side and snappy with lots of impact which also contributes to the brightness factor.
The ms1 is very dark when used with the stock comfies especially if you don't cut the quarter size hole in them. Doing the mod will improve the sound. After about a hundred hours burn in, these cans sound brighter it seems as it opens up the sound. I know this because mine are at about 100 hours now. They just surpassed my hd 555s in brightness now and those are called generally dark. If the burn in and mod doesn't brighten it up enough for you, try using bowls as they will make the ms1s much brighter and more detailed.

Feb 18, 2006 at 5:46 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus
You guys are nuts telling him to see a doctor.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I3eyond, Ignore them! hehehe Grados have a rep for being bright around here which is true for the ones that have bowl pads on them. They are a little on the dry side and snappy with lots of impact which also contributes to the brightness factor.
The ms1 is very dark when used with the stock comfies especially if you don't cut the quarter size hole in them. Doing the mod will improve the sound. After about a hundred hours burn in, these cans sound brighter it seems as it opens up the sound. I know this because mine are at about 100 hours now. They just surpassed my hd 555s in brightness now and those are called generally dark. If the burn in and mod doesn't brighten it up enough for you, try using bowls as they will make the ms1s much brighter and more detailed.

i hope
mad.gif

sidenote: if i'm having this problem with these cans, would i def. not like senns?

Feb 18, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #15 of 29
!!! 13 replies and no Gradohead has recommended Bowls yet!!!????

bowls
bowls
bowls
~$10 at TTVJ

They make Every Grado brighter and more airy. You'll get the added soundstage and image separation too. win-win in my book, although it might take a while to get used to the reduced comfort. Wash with baby shampoo to help soften them.

C-pads with plugs removed would be my next suggestion.

**edit**

oops didn't read donunus last statement

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back