MS-1's on the way; questions about the special torture I'll be subjecting them to
Jan 1, 2003 at 4:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Phreon

Head-Fier
As I sit here anxiously waiting for my MS-1's to arrive while nearly rattling these old Optimus Pro-25s (Same drivers as the Portas and KSC's...a stunning $16 pair of phones that kicks the #%$^% out of my friend's Sony V-600's) off of my head to Hive, Devious Method, some questions leaped forth.

Most people ask the same ol' "how should I burn my phones in" question, but I have a twist. I have a hearing impairment and have to pump the left channel about 50% harder than the right to achieve any semblance of balance. I drive my phones to what would be ear splitting volumes for normal hearing folks regularly (it's ok, my audiologist confirms that I'm safe with the type of loss I have).

Since I'll be pushing my phones at dissiimilar levels most of the time, will I have to worry about "unbalancing" them as one of the drivers will be working MUCH harder than the other? Will the high volume levels increase the chance of the phones picking up the dreaded Grattle?

I haven't had a chance to audition any Grados/Alessandros, so I'm trusting opinions and the homework I've done, but the descriptions of the MS-1 being bright, foward, punchy and somewhat analytical seems perfect, considering my loss is mostly at the top end with a big midrange suckout "hole" between 800 and 5000 Hz or so.

So how fast is Alessandro's shipping? I ordered this past weekend and am DYING to give em a spin!

Phreon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back