Ms-1's are...a little dissapointing
Mar 26, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #31 of 54
They're not all that comfy to be honest, but the sound benefits make comfies seem unlistenable. I just grabbed a pair of Radio Shack replacement pads today and I'm listening to them right now (they look identical to the comfies as far as I can see, except not as dense or thick) and they're pretty awful. If the comfies are anywhere near this, it's really wasting your headphones' potential.

Mar 26, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #32 of 54
Order some modded Senn 414's from holeinmywallet's thread in mall-fi HERE Theyr'e dyed too if you can't dig the yellow!
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2005 at 4:29 AM Post #33 of 54
I find it hard to believe that the ms1 w/ comfies can be shrill. Well, at first they may be, but with a little burn-in, it gets okay. Perhaps you are used to recessed treble? (I personally went to ms1 from sony mdr v250, which was incredibly recessed and muddled IIRC) After a few days, I got used to the ms1 and started to really enjoy it. Also, don't listen to loud. Or else treble will always sound painful and bright. I'm not sure how loud the H10 is, but if it's around the same scale as the ihp, you shouldn't be listening at more than 20-25 (halfway-ish) at home. (Don't even take em to a loud environment) Preferably around 10-15. Tinnitus will come to get you otherwise. (IME)

Also, grados + iriver (the later ones after the ifp-1** series) may be too treble heavy for some.

Mar 26, 2005 at 5:12 AM Post #35 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33
414pads and comfies sound pretty similar, 414 wont be a 'huge' upgrade.

I agree although flat pads i think are definately the best of all the pads. The comfort isn't to bad. If you wash the pads in shampoo they will get signifigantly softer.

Mar 26, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #36 of 54
dont listen too loud?
confused.gif

How am I supposed to listen to rock not loud. I dont listen with ear splitting loudness but I listen pretty loud sometimes. Are you saying that the ms-1's are not good when played loud?

Mar 26, 2005 at 4:42 PM Post #37 of 54
No, I'm saying you'll get tinnitus. Something that you will regret for a long time.

Mar 26, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #38 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
Yikes, no way. The SR-80's are known for their Grato, only surpassed by the old 325's in that area.

Ack, definately; the 60s and particularly the 80s are the shrillest headphones I've ever heard. The 125 and 225 are much better in that regard.

jesse

Mar 26, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #39 of 54
but will treble always sound shrill and screechy when played loud with grado's? How loud is too loud? I dont know how to say how loud im playing it but I usually play with max volume on the iRiver, but i dont think its as powerful as the ihp-120. its 18 mW per channel I beleive. so..

Mar 29, 2005 at 5:39 AM Post #40 of 54
IMHO, Grado headphones are not that comfy regardless of the pad. The flats don't lower the comfort level that much. If I wasn't wearing old bent-frame glasses I could go for a couple hours no problem. It's worth mentioning that I have a big (wide) head.

Modded Sennheiser pads are slightly more comfortable, but don't reproduce exactly the same magic as original flats.

The flats change the sound more than any source, amp, or special cable change will get you. With comfy pads, the MS-1s are confused. With flats, they absolutely focus and open up. It's synergy in mid-bass on down.

It can't be explained in fancy audiophile terms. With the right recording, it is a unique, engaging experience.

[size=xx-small]p.s. With flats, not only is treble no longer shrill, ever, you may find some sparkle lacking from the highs that used to be there. Can't have your cake and eat it too.[/size]

Mar 29, 2005 at 8:44 AM Post #41 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33
don't spend anymore money 'upgrading' your ms1, listen to it for a month and see if you like it. 414pads and comfies sound pretty similar, 414 wont be a 'huge' upgrade.

Provided you cut a hole in the 414 pads, I find the difference from the unmodded comfies to be huge!

IME the brightness of the MS-1 is decided by how far from your ear the driver is situated. To a certain point, the phones will become brighter the farther away from my ears they are pulled. With the flats (I assume) or the modded 414s, the distance from ear to driver will be at a minimum, thus tameing the highs!

Knut

Mar 29, 2005 at 4:59 PM Post #42 of 54
Playing max volume on your portable is dangerous. My own CD players are no powerhouses, but max volume with Grados could do serious damage to your hearing.

Apr 2, 2005 at 4:27 AM Post #44 of 54
I can say than the HD414s with the...HD414 pads are very comfortable. However the drivers are smaller, and overall probably a bit lighter. Well, maybe not, those things are ancient. If you put HD414 pads on anything they fit they should be quite comfortable, provided there is minimal clamping.

Apr 2, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #45 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by leapincoog
im pretty sure that most cd players have a lot more power then most mp3 players. My iRiver has about average for an mp3 player

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's the other way around. Most reg. consumer pcdps (ex. iriver and a few others) and even some daps have only like a 5mw or 7 mw output, which pales in comparison to the ipods, ihps, rios, etc that we commonly discuss about on this board. (which are usually at least 10mw)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back