Ms-1's are...a little dissapointing
Mar 25, 2005 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

leapincoog

Head-Fier
I got my ms-1's a few days ago and Ive been listening to them a lot. I listen out of my iRiver h10 to mp3's at 192kbps. I also listen out of my computer to 192kbps mp3s which has onboard soundmax audio(asus k8v deluxe mobo). And I listen out of the headphone jack of my dad's arcam amp connected to an arcam cd player. The amp can definately go a lot louder, but it doesnt seem that much different. A little more full sounding but nothing significant.

When I got these headphones I was expecting something really amazing. The best headphones id listened to before were my sony mdr-v300's. I listen to a lot of rock, and that is what these headphones are supposed to shine with. I heard people saying things like "I rediscovered led zeppelin when I listened to them with these phones" and "listen to "holier than thou" by metallica with these phones and you will be blown away." When I put them on first I listened to "enter sandman" by metallica and it seemed to have a lot of impact and tight bass. That was out of my iRiver. I really liked it at first, but maybe that was just because I wanted to like it and I was expecting to like it.

Right now it is ok, but nothing sensational. High's seem to be very shrill and uncontrolled. Sometimes they could be compared to nails scratching a chalk board. There is some impact, but nothing that really gets me engaged like I thought it would. My old sony's seem to have more impact. I tried making an eq boost around 200 hz like someone recommended but it caused mostly distortion and didnt fill up the sound or anything. Im not a basshead..I love rock, I like tight controlled bass with A lot of impact, and controlled, and engaging but not too shrill highs. Grado phones seemed perfect for me but these ms-1's havnt lived up to my expectations.

Dont get me wrong, theyre not bad. Some tracks sound pretty good on them. They are quite detailed IMO. I really want to love these phones because I think they are the coolest looking things ever, and they are quite comfy too. Maybe its my sources? Help meeeeee!

Mar 25, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #2 of 54
The really shrill highs that make me cringe are usually with "s" sounds and with cymbals..thats sorta thing.

Also, these phones seem to be hurting my ears a little. They make my ears hurt the same sorta way as when im at a metallica concert except the pain isnt nearly that much. Im not playing the music that loud. Nothing I dont normally listen to without any problems.

Mar 25, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 54
your mp3s might be below avg quality. check the bit rate. i had crap on my old jukebox in freaking 68 bitrate. yeah, 68. sounded fine out of my crap cans, but the MS-1 revealed the horror. even 128 was sounding wonky. only at over 192 can i now find peace.

the MS-1 is a very revealing can. the screechiness might be an indication of your source. try listening to a CD ( that isn't recorded sizzly hot of course) and you should have a benchmark of what a cleaner uncompressed recording can offer. again, your CDs might be mastered crappy, so watch out.

rule of thumb is, garbage in, garbage out. the MS-1 isn't garbage, so something before the signal probably is. and i KNOW the MS-1 isn't crappier than any v300 in existence, so that can't be it.

a v300 could be extremely forgiving of crappy signals because it's not resolving at all.

Mar 25, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 54
well i said that my mp3's are in 192 kbps. I said also that I was listening through my dad's arcam amp and cd player...to cd's...lol. The amp was designed mainly for speakers though..so i dunno. Yes i agree the ms-1's are very revealing and I like that.

There seems to be this popping sort of sound every now and then in one or the other of the ears in the phones. Its not the source because I go back and play over the same thing and its not there the next time. It also happens sometimes when im playing games and it never happened before. WHat is this? does anyone know?

And about my ears mildly hurting? Anyone got an answer? THankkss

Mar 25, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #10 of 54
Let 'em burn in and get either flat pads from Todd the Vinyl Junkie or some senn 414 pads. IMO the bowl pads suck.

With these phones you're going to start noticing flaws in recordings where you never knew there were any. Could be thats what you're hearing, or maybe when you ripped your cds some anomalies snuck in there. Happens.

Mar 25, 2005 at 9:59 PM Post #12 of 54
yes, they come with the comfy pads. They have burned in for about 20 hours now. I guess I should wait till about 100 hours until I really judge them. Yes i am noticing flaws in recordings now, its pretty neat. I just did the quarter mod on my comfies and I like it better. It's clearer.

Mar 25, 2005 at 10:01 PM Post #13 of 54
I am a bit hesitant about flat pads because they are supposed to be really uncomfortable. The comfies are so....comfy
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #14 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by leapincoog
I am a bit hesitant about flat pads because they are supposed to be really uncomfortable. The comfies are so....comfy
biggrin.gif

might want to go for the 414 pads then - they are comfier than flats but give similar characteristics to the cans.

Mar 25, 2005 at 10:23 PM Post #15 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
might want to go for the 414 pads then - they are comfier than flats but give similar characteristics to the cans.

I can (no pun intended!) add my thumbs up to the 414 modded pads... They tame the treble somewhat while filling out the bass (at the cost of a slight loss of definition)
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back