MS-1 vs. PX-100 Impressions
Jan 30, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by phonatic
Now, I have had a few pair of Sportapros, which I loved... but the PX100 reaches into the next level. I'm not surprised to read that people are comparing them favorably with the MS1, the most overrated headphone in its class. <ducks>

Too bad the PX100 is so hard to drive relative to its specifications. Still, it's a good match to the iPod.

What headphones would you consider better for $100? I can't think of any off the top of my head...

Jan 30, 2005 at 9:41 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
What headphones would you consider better for $100? I can't think of any off the top of my head...

I'm a Sennheiser believer, but then, apart from this
tongue.gif
, I have no reason to fight against Grado & Alessandro, and...
I believe the HD555, which is only a little more costly than MS-1, is a better deal.

Jan 30, 2005 at 10:36 AM Post #18 of 33
To me, the PX100 sounds BAD from the iPod. Not a good match at all. You get none of the bass thats the PX100s strong suit, and the detail gets muffled too, as do the mids. On my CD player however, the bass comes through strongly, nice detail, and now I know why people regard it so highly. MD33s are a much better match for iPod's IMO

Jan 30, 2005 at 11:17 AM Post #19 of 33
Now i'm just iching to test one of these out, if the PX100 doesn't live up to all the hype then I've got to add a few members to my "do-not-listen-to-in-the-future" list.
biggrin.gif

And here I was thinking that my yet to arrive MS-2/Vibe Amp would put a end to my cravings when the PX100 is all that for cheaper.
icon10.gif

Jan 30, 2005 at 12:51 PM Post #20 of 33
I don't think the MS-1 is overrated at all. It's a great headphone. And I honestly don't know how it would directly compare to the PX-100. But after hearing the PX-100, I think it would be a good comparison.

Jan 30, 2005 at 11:29 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmanc
Now i'm just iching to test one of these out, if the PX100 doesn't live up to all the hype then I've got to add a few members to my "do-not-listen-to-in-the-future" list.
biggrin.gif

And here I was thinking that my yet to arrive MS-2/Vibe Amp would put a end to my cravings when the PX100 is all that for cheaper.
icon10.gif

When you can get a PX-100 for $30 shipped (refurb), how can you not take the chance? Even if their audio reproduction doesn't blow your mind at the price, the portability and slick case makes up for it.

Feb 19, 2005 at 9:48 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mintieman
To me, the PX100 sounds BAD from the iPod. Not a good match at all. You get none of the bass thats the PX100s strong suit, and the detail gets muffled too, as do the mids. On my CD player however, the bass comes through strongly, nice detail, and now I know why people regard it so highly. MD33s are a much better match for iPod's IMO

Is your iPod doing okay with other cans?

Man, I love the PX100s with iPod!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #23 of 33
Perhaps said CD player has a heavy bass-boost built in, as so many mainstream models feature these days? Listening with something like that for a long time can color one's expectation of neutral sound.

Feb 26, 2005 at 8:36 AM Post #24 of 33
A classic hifi-dilemma: do you want to hear everything, the good and the bad, or do you prefer some clouding but pleasant coloration? (I never got further then "it depends..")

Feb 26, 2005 at 8:49 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icy006
When you can get a PX-100 for $30 shipped (refurb), how can you not take the chance? Even if their audio reproduction doesn't blow your mind at the price, the portability and slick case makes up for it.

I have one on the way and I can compare it to my KSC35/75/MS-1/MS-2/Fatboy (eventually). Now it better be up to the level of my MS-2 or i'm going to be mighty pissed!
icon10.gif

Feb 26, 2005 at 9:30 AM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura
A classic hifi-dilemma: do you want to hear everything, the good and the bad, or do you prefer some clouding but pleasant coloration? (I never got further then "it depends..")

The classic hifi answer is "perfect balance"... no coloration and a natural perspective.

See ya
Steve

Feb 26, 2005 at 9:37 AM Post #27 of 33
Hey there, just like you the px100s were my first real set of headphones (wwayy better than my sony backphones) and after a few months i got the MS-1s to go along with them.

At first i hated the MS-1s, seemed wwayy too dark and vieled to me. But after burnt in i really could here them shine. Now i love each of my children the same :p

Is it just me or do the px100s have a... nicer... soundstage than the MS1s? Im not sure of how to explain it, but the px100s to me appear to have a much more lucid and fluid sound - more "open" i guess.

Rob.

Feb 26, 2005 at 9:51 AM Post #28 of 33
Just listen to the MS-1s with flats or Senn pads for a month. Hook it up to nice gear. Good CD player, good amp. Then go back to your PX100 and hook it up to the same system.
I didn't hear the how big the improvement was at first either. Just that the mids and highs were better. But listening on good gear and then going back makes you realise how much better the MS-1s are.

Feb 26, 2005 at 11:38 AM Post #29 of 33
Actually after a 3 month stint with the MD33s, the PX100s are starting to sound good with the iPod. I've been burning them in, perhaps this is why? I can actually feel the bass on the iPod now, and its great!

Feb 26, 2005 at 12:01 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by robzy
Is it just me or do the px100s have a... nicer... soundstage than the MS1s? Im not sure of how to explain it, but the px100s to me appear to have a much more lucid and fluid sound - more "open" i guess.

Rob.

Yep... you put into words very nicely the fact that the PX100 is a great little headphone even disregarding its price.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back