Ms-1 vs. Grado 225? Opinions?
Jun 15, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 16
This is only what I've heard from others so use caution:

Many say that the 225s are the best in the Grado line-up in terms of bang for the buck. They'd sound very good especcially with rock music. The MS-1s are probably a bit more neutral but perhaps not as satisfying as the 225s overall.

Dec 18, 2004 at 9:53 AM Post #3 of 16
I was going to start a new thread, but decided to bump this old one.

I may dip my toes into the Grado camp. Is the 225 worth the price over the MS1? I may end up with MS2's but I don't know if I want to spend that much.

Dec 18, 2004 at 10:27 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3

I may dip my toes into the Grado camp. Is the 225 worth the price over the MS1? I may end up with MS2's but I don't know if I want to spend that much.

With a Singlepower MPX3, heck yeah, you'll notice the difference.

I can definitely tell the difference between the SR60 and SR225 when only lightly amped, and I can say it's worth it.

There would be nothing wrong in going to the top (or near it) with the MS-2, either.

Dec 18, 2004 at 3:22 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Looking at your inventory may I suggest the either the 225 or ms-2's for you. 225's if you are on a budget or ms-2 if you stretch a little further. Hopefully you will get lucky and a mint condition used one might come up for sale. You will notice the soundstaging being narrower than what you are use to, but it makes up with great midrange, fun, musicality. I would lend you mine to try out but I promised another headfier he could lend my ms-2's first after the new year. But if you are willing to wait, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Dec 18, 2004 at 3:23 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ixeo
1 reason for not going with MS-2 would be the weight.. afaik..may bother some.. i'd like to see an MS-1 vs SR-225

The ms-2's are heavier than the standard grado's but not heavier and cumbersome than my hp-2's

Dec 18, 2004 at 3:24 PM Post #8 of 16
I've owned both. Even straight out of an iPod you'll notice a difference.

If I had to quantify the differences I'd say they're there, but the differences between the SR80 to MS1 are greater, and the differences between SR225 to RS1 lesser. MS1 are the best bang for buck in the Grado line IMO (SR60 lose for me because of their highs and not growing with an amp), get you over the hump of equipment getting in the way of musical enjoyment and where things really start to shine. The SR225 is a poor mans RS1, and your equipment really has to be up to speed to notice major differences between those two. I don't usually recommend above the SR225, except for build quality issues. The SR225 brings more general refinement over the MS1, and definitely more to the bottom end/slam.

Both are the 'smooth' Grados (also RS1 and never heard the RS2 or other Alessandros). There's really nothing the MS1 does better, expect possibly have a better price/performance return. The SR225 is the end of the upgrado line for me (not a fan of the SR325, and after the price/performance gets too out of wack).

I've just sold my last Grado (guess I'm a Senn man), but if it was me, MS1 makes an excellent primary budget phone and is the sub $100 king of headphones (everything else we do around here is just icing on the cake), or great secondary phone. The SR225 makes a great non-budget primary phone, where possibly the upgrade illness may stop.

Dec 18, 2004 at 3:26 PM Post #9 of 16
I am sure I have said it at least a 100 times. Biggest mistake I made was selling my 225's (and EMP)
frown.gif

Dec 18, 2004 at 9:15 PM Post #10 of 16
The MS-1 is a good way to dip into Grados. The sky is the limit afterwards. They are cheap (how much longer?), lightweight, comfortable, durable, free shipping, and sound great. They also have a 1/8 inch jack option, and have been known to improve nicely with an amp. They look nicer than Grados, in my opinion.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2004 at 10:10 PM Post #11 of 16
Hey man, I have a MS-1 you can try out and possibly sell/swap to you (i'm in Sydney, Parramatta) pm me if interested. btw i'm interested in a pair of ATH-A900 myself.
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2004 at 10:42 PM Post #12 of 16
Heres a little bit of a hijack
How would the MS-2s compare 225/325

I was going to go for the 225s on hearing that the 325s are quite (almost too much so) bright. making the 225s better for rock/metal

Then the MS-2 are a more subdued version of the 325s

What is your guys opinion on these cans?

Dec 18, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #13 of 16
i just got a pair of 325 and own the 225 and the 80s. I have to tell you that i don't think that these are really as harsh as some people say. The real test is my girlfriend who has way better hearing than me and has an unbiased opinion since she doesn't read any head fi posts. And everyday i have found her listening to my 325s. Before she wouldn't even bother picking up the other two before i got them. So that just kind of goes to show that if the 225s where as awesome as they were and the 325s where so terrible, then why does she keep grabbing the 325 ( and i know that she isn't tone def she seems to have great taste in music and is intelligent enough since she is an engineering student at cal berkeley) just some thoughts. Please just don't flame me, just some honest observations i have made since i got the 325's. bad thing is i can't peel them off of her.
3000smile.gif

Dec 19, 2004 at 12:37 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmanc
Hey man, I have a MS-1 you can try out and possibly sell/swap to you (i'm in Sydney, Parramatta) pm me if interested. btw i'm interested in a pair of ATH-A900 myself.
biggrin.gif

Hi, thanks for the offer. I'll think about it. If you're interested have a look at the Meetings forum because there's a thread about a possible Sydney meet. BTW, I live in Parramatta (towards Merrylands).

I think I'll go for the 225, or even possibly the MS2, eventually. I get the impression they have "better" bass than the MS1 and I would definitely miss that. I'm just thinking about it at the moment anyway.

GoRedwings19, thanks for the MS2 lending offer. It wouldn't be worth the shipping cost to Australia. You people are so friendly.

Dec 19, 2004 at 12:52 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Hi, thanks for the offer. I'll think about it. If you're interested have a look at the Meetings forum because there's a thread about a possible Sydney meet. BTW, I live in Parramatta (towards Merrylands).

I think I'll go for the 225, or even possibly the MS2, eventually. I get the impression they have "better" bass than the MS1 and I would definitely miss that. I'm just thinking about it at the moment anyway.

No, probs. I do think the MS-1's bass is a bit thin and is more geared towards the highend sound so maybe it's better you go for the 225 instead in that case. But if you are curious about how the MS-1 would sound on your setup I can loan it to you for a few days to test
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back