MS-1 vs. DT880?
Feb 4, 2005 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rcgrant

Head-Fier
In my search for a $100 set of DT880-like headphones for the office, I've resigned myself to the fact that no such thing exists. Now I'm considering the Alessandro MS-1, in hopes that by sacrificing the wide and airy soundstage of the DT880 I can get comparable detail and neutrality. Is this a reasonable expectation of the MS-1? For what it's worth, I expect that I would order bowl pads for them as well.

Feb 4, 2005 at 4:38 AM Post #2 of 6
You'd definitely NOT get neutrality or detail. Grados are known for musicality, not known for detail... in fact, one of the least detailed headphones I've ever heard from a HiFi seller.

However, their sound quality cannot be beat in many instances.

Here's the problem:
They leak sound, not good for office
They are open, not good for office
They will not be neutral, your least colored Grado is the SR225, that's it
They will not be detailed, expect romantic sound, but not a whole lotta detail.

Feb 4, 2005 at 4:59 AM Post #3 of 6
neutral and Grados do not belong in the same sentence.

Sibilance and Grados go hand in hand. Grados has got to be one of the most colored, inaccurate sounding cans Ive listened to
smily_headphones1.gif
. but then its called the Grado sound, a lot of people dig it.

my experience is with the sr-80s btw,

they do excell with stringed instruments though. but pretty much miss the target with human vocals and everything else.

Feb 4, 2005 at 5:08 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by rcgrant
In my search for a $100 set of DT880-like headphones for the office, I've resigned myself to the fact that no such thing exists. Now I'm considering the Alessandro MS-1, in hopes that by sacrificing the wide and airy soundstage of the DT880 I can get comparable detail and neutrality. Is this a reasonable expectation of the MS-1? For what it's worth, I expect that I would order bowl pads for them as well.

I've got a set of MS-1's, had them for about 6 weeks (I could be off, you know what they say when you're having a good time :wink: The music is great with these phones. I would also buy a set of Grado flat pads from I can't tell you his name but his initials are Todd Green The Vinyl ^ & Headphone Junkie (he's one of the sponsors of Head-Fi and an all around wonderful guy, great dealer, informative, honest people you'll meet on-line). You should also consider buying 2 - 3 sets of the Senn 414 pads, so you can try it with the pseudo VWAP modification.

They are warm, versatile with pad changes, extremely musical and the more I listen to them, the more convinced that I need to sell My Senn HD595's. I don't need detail for details sake. I do however need musicality, it's got to make great music.

Oh yeah I almost forgot, YMMV

marty..aka

Feb 4, 2005 at 5:09 AM Post #5 of 6
I think they sound somewhat similar. Both have a non-agressive and forward flavor. ( I actually find the ms1 quite slow for certain music, as with the dt) The 880 is a bit drier though in the midrange. Of course YMMV.

Feb 4, 2005 at 7:15 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
You'd definitely NOT get neutrality or detail. Grados are known for musicality, not known for detail... in fact, one of the least detailed headphones I've ever heard from a HiFi seller.

However, their sound quality cannot be beat in many instances.

Here's the problem:
They leak sound, not good for office
They are open, not good for office
They will not be neutral, your least colored Grado is the SR225, that's it
They will not be detailed, expect romantic sound, but not a whole lotta detail.

Then you must have heard 'not a whole lotta detail' in the MS-2s, with a good Grado-style amp like the GL; or 'not a whole lotta detail' in a pair of PS-1s or HP1000s...
rolleyes.gif

In your zeal to appear 'knowledgeable', Aman, you seem to be putting your foot firmly between your gums... To which Grado are you referring? Which Grados have you actually heard? ALL Grados? You might want to add a little context to your posts, Aman... BTW, the 'least colored Grado' is actually the Alessandro MS-2 (I own both the SR225s and the MS-2s, so I am going to venture an opinion here)...

Aman, between this thread's hot air and the HD650 'Emperor's New clothes' hot air, you are batting 1000 lately.

If you keep going off half-cocked, all attitude and no real information, I'll personally arrange for a 'short bus' pickup and dropoff to and from MIT for you, ok, Aman?
rolleyes.gif

Oh, yeah... the DT880s have FAR more detail and a MUCH larger soundstage than MS-1s, BTW; however, the DT880's mids seem a tad drier than the 'ultra juicy' Grado/Alessandro up front MR...
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back