MS-1 owner looking for more bass
Oct 25, 2007 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

cin__server

Head-Fier
Hello all i have a MS-1 (obviously) that is run from my audigy 2 notebook. before my MS-1s i was a Senn-head. and i miss my bass, it was bloated and muddy but i miss it. ive noticed that my laptop has a harder time powering the MS-1 than my HD465. would an amp get me more bass, if so which one, im not going to spend more than about $100 as I'm what one might call a broke biotch.

my other thought is to sell the MS-1s to fund the purchase of some DT770 pros. i would actually sell all of my headphones to get one that makes me happy in every way.

what do you guys think??

Oct 25, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #3 of 23
MS2i are $200 more than MS1 and while they do offer a bit more bass, I doubt it would be satisfactory (especially unamped)

if using bowl-pads, there are a number of tricks to bring out more bass, but if you're still using the standard comfy-pads the MS1 will not get really more bassy than that

The MS1 is current hungry (like all grados) so an amp will improve the sound a bit... but it won't turn them into bass-heavy headphones. Perhaps a Cmoy with bass-boost will help a bit for little money

otherwise there are headphones like the equations, K81DJ, DT770(pro), Denon D1k or D2k... which are known for their bass

Oct 25, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 23
buy the penguinamp caffine -- the bass boost on it sounds real nice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 25, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by reaction /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MS1 have already great bass. Probably you have to try different PC-source because Audigy is a mediocre piece of hardware. Try an USB DAC - there are lots of market and DIY solutions.

Not really. Besides the spike in mid-high range that gives it Grado soundsignature, MS1 is actually quite flat headphone, so in quantity of something its not really that great.

But has OP tried to fiddle around with EQ. Give a slight boost to regions (or preferably cut the others, boosting above 0 level produces distortion) below 100Hz and bass starts to get more body. Grado/Alessandro headphones respond to EQ really well.

Oct 25, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #8 of 23
ok lets answer some questions

1: no i have not tried MS2i but they are a little expensive for my means.

2. about an amp i guess ill have to try them in my dads Harmon Kardon amp and see if i can hear a difference. ( i sorta answered my own question there didnt i)

3. Ill have to go test some denons and Beyers. (do other Beyers have the same bass as the 770's because the store that i know that has Beyers only has 660 and 860??)

4. i am against equalization for the most part. i feel if your speakers or headphones don't sound right or there is something wrong with them, you should have bought different ones. the only thing i EQ is cheapo stuff to try and make it listenable. i know some of you may disagree but thats how i feel and im pretty set in that belief

Oct 26, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

4. i am against equalization for the most part. i feel if your speakers or headphones don't sound right or there is something wrong with them, you should have bought different ones. the only thing i EQ is cheapo stuff to try and make it listenable. i know some of you may disagree but thats how i feel and im pretty set in that belief

True, though thats sort of misuse. EQ can be used to fix something like byproducts of poor acoustics, and not to alter the whole sound signature. I prefer leaving it flat, but sometimes I alter it VERY slightly, a notch or two at most so the soundsignature is unaffected, but some frequencies strength is bit changed. +2 to 55Hz and +1 to 77Hz in Foobar EQ already gives bass bit more depth without really changing the tone of it. Even more minimalistic change, just +1 to 55Hz, works too.

Oct 26, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #10 of 23
Before you do anything definitely try and amp. You won't get Sennheiser bass from a Grado ever, but amping improves the bass on MS-1's considerably. Still great bass, but more quantity. Definitely definitely add an amp in the mix. I used a mini^3 to get the results I'm talking about.

Oct 26, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #11 of 23
Try the Mini^3 plus taped bowls on the MS1...should have no problems with more bass there
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #12 of 23
ok this is a little off topic but how does a full size speaker amp compare to a headphone amp. because thats all i have access to. is the headphone amp Price ratio the same as the headphone vs speaker??

that is to say is my $400 speaker amp going to perform as good as a $400 headphone amp???

Oct 26, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #13 of 23
It depends how the headphone amplification has been done on the speaker amp. Some speaker amps have dedicated and good quality headphone amplification, but since its secondary objecive in those amplifiers its very common that they have a very simple headphone amp circuit or use the speaker amplifier runned through resistors, which again has its own downsides.

Oct 27, 2007 at 11:21 AM Post #14 of 23
I've got the MS-1 and when I feel I need more Bass I use my Goldring DR-150. Similar sound sig but MORE bass.
Theres a good thread on the DR-150, it should give you a good Idea of what these cans are like.
I would say they're the middle ground between the MS-1 and the HD 595.
Hope this helps

Oct 27, 2007 at 12:14 PM Post #15 of 23
The bass is there . find the Fugees "Killing me softly " or Jenifer Warnes " Way down Deep" I'll take nice extended Lows. I hope you are not just looking for thump.

I also agree with others , experiment with pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back