ms-1 over sr60 if i don't plan to upgrade for a time?
Sep 18, 2005 at 4:38 PM Post #16 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by binkgle
so should i just go with one of those $50 cmoys on ebay?

would headroom take a price-match from ebay?

the 240s is sounding pretty good from all i've started to read about it (and by pretty good i mean really good)

I think a pav2 is a better bang for the buck.

Sep 18, 2005 at 4:48 PM Post #17 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by discord
I think a pav2 is a better bang for the buck.

I disagree the PA2 has some bass and midrange boost going for it that I (for one) think excessively colors the already colored K240s. Its soundstage is also more compressed. IMHO it works well with sloppy cans like the KSC75 or UR40.

IMHO the govibe is a better match with the K240s. It has a wider soundstage and more "air" in the treble, that sounds superb with the AKG.

My personal oppinions of course, after owning all of the above.
Garrett

Sep 18, 2005 at 5:21 PM Post #18 of 41
i can't find anywhere where i could buy a govibe.

oh, and i'd need the amp to be portable, so i can use it with my ipod, too.

should i go pa2v2 or cmoy (on ebay?) ?

Sep 19, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #20 of 41
when i had my cousin ordered my MS-1, he received the cans 2 or 3 days after putting the order in. that's very good, i don't know why a lot of people have problem with ordering from alessandro. fyi, the order was through their website, prior to that, he called alessandro and george told him the best way to do it is through the website.

i too thought that MS-1 is going to be good enough for a long while.
i was wrong.. i am getting my RS-2 very soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #21 of 41
My entry into Head-Fi was the SR-80. I love 'em, but if I had to do it over again, I would get the MS-1.

Doesn't matter much now that the HF-1 is on the way...

Sep 19, 2005 at 3:46 AM Post #22 of 41
i've heard the k240s need an amp, and that a govibe is best for them. are govibes really worth the $90? what price could i look for if i asked for one on the amp for sale forum?

Sep 21, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #25 of 41
ok, thinking more about this, i realistically can't buy an amp or a new sound card for a while. for now it has to be headphones only, driven by my sb live and/or my ipod. so, that rules the k240s out.

i now have some px100s, but would like to get some better phones if i can get them. ms-1? sr60? ksc75? hd485? what? an iem, maybe? hd555 (yay for price-matching)?

please help me choose. remember i listen to most sorts of music but mainly rock (the cans must be at least alright all-rounders). i play games and watch moveis very rarely, but i would like the headphones to be able to do at least a hald-decent job with these

personally i find the ksc75s to be ugly looking, but my only point of reference is headroom, so i've never seen them on someone's head.

i'd like these to be comfortable

i cannot and will not spend more than $100 (give or take $10 or so for things like hd555 if recommended)

thx so much, as always,
Jack

edit: i froogled the hd555s and i can get them for only $99 (i'll use headroom's price matching feature). i think they look best. at only 50 ohms my sound card and ipod should be able to drive them sans amp, they are suppossed to be very comfortable, nice soundstage, nice sound positioning, good allrounders. later when i get an av710 and a pa2v2 (that's my final decision source upgrade-wise), they are supposed to improve greatly, too.

any thoguhts?

i'm kind of sad that i'll be missing the in-studio feel that grados would give me, but i guess i can try some sr60s at a guitar center someda and see wheter i like the sound. they do sound so nice, though, especially those ms-1s. so, ms-1 vs hd555.

remember all above criteria!!!!!!

Sep 21, 2005 at 12:08 PM Post #26 of 41
My MS-1's sound *fantastic* directly out of my Zen Micro and even better when amped. If I were in your position I'd definitely go with the Alessandros.

Sep 21, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #27 of 41
Get the MS-1 if you are going for a livelier sound. They sound great on portables, and are just fine with the comfies.

The guys at the Hamilton meet mostly agreed that they are a huge bang for the buck.

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 21, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #28 of 41
how comfie are the comfies? i was thinking of getting some hd414 pads for the ms-1s if i bought them, is it worth it?

more opinions on hd555 vs ms-1, please! i listen to lots of rock (def not hard rock, mainly classic), some/little classical, some 80s pop, rat pack singers (sinatra, etc.), little jazz, etc. so i need at least ok allrounders.

again, no amp, as good sounding as possible (and i like the idea of the lively/fun grado sound, even though the only even slightly good cans i've ever heard are my px100s), and comfortable.

i will later upgrade source and get an amp, but not for a while

Sep 22, 2005 at 12:13 AM Post #29 of 41
The comfies are quite comfy and the cans sound just great with them. Stretch out the headband to conform to your head better, and I think you'll find the MS-1 to be quite comfortable.

I did end up getting some HD 414 pads (3 pair) since they're so cheap and wanted extras to mess with or for future Grado upgrades. Properly modded, they do sound a little better, with fuller bass and a little more clarity. Not a huge change, but it does liven things up. Feels every bit as comfortable as the stock comfy pads.

I'm tempted to order a Beyerdynamic DT 770 pad since it's only like $10. Not for comfort, since I don't even notice the headband, but just to make it look a little classier.

Sep 22, 2005 at 1:30 AM Post #30 of 41
keep it coming
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back