MS-1 > HD595?
Jul 8, 2006 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TAF94

100+ Head-Fier
I've had MS-1's now for about 2 months and I'm thinking about selling them.
Should I sell my MS-1's and get HD595's 50 ohms? Will the HD595's have more bass or better overall SQ?

Jul 8, 2006 at 5:39 PM Post #2 of 6
You may miss the slam of the MS1. Overall, I am happier with the sound of my MS1 over the Senn 595 which sounds comparatively more diffused and less direct.

Ian

Jul 8, 2006 at 6:17 PM Post #3 of 6
Coming from a pair of SR125s, I tried the 595 and was a bit underwhelmed. I felt the treble was still recessed for a forward sounding Senn. I went with the MS2i instead and am happy with them. Better bass, exciting treble without much of the harshness of the 125s.

Jul 8, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #4 of 6
Ms-1s and break-in.

Do I believe in the concept of break-in? I dunno. But......

About three weeks ago one of the kids borrowed one of my favorite Beatles CDs.

And misplaced it.

I've had my MS-1s since mid-March and the last time I listened to that Beatles album about a month ago, the bass was a bit loose and boomy. Not anoying; but obvious. I assumed that it was the way it was recorded.

I listened to it this morning after the kids cleaned their room last week and found the disc; and the poor quality bass had managed to fix itself!

I would have thought that any break-in would have been accomplished long before the CD was misplaced.

Jul 8, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #5 of 6
Just save up, and wait to get some higher end headphones (hd650/k701 etc etc) I'd say the 595 is an improvment over the MS-1, but it's not that noticeable, and it's subjective to what style music you listen to.

Jul 11, 2006 at 4:54 PM Post #6 of 6
It really comes down to which "house" sound you prefer. As someone posted above, the HD595 will sound more diffuse and less crispy at the high end than the Grado or Alessandro models. It is meant to. It does not depart significantly from the Sennheiser house sound.

You may, however, find the bass of the HD595 to be an improvement, as I do, over the bass of virtually any Grado type headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back