MrSpeakers ETHER Flow Amp recommendations
Jan 18, 2017 at 5:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Alu

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello!

I've recently been reading a lot about the Ether Flow headphones and decided to go for them as my potential end-game setup.
Now I'm looking for a decent amp around the 1.000 pound price point to match them.
I'd be running this amp fully balanced out of my Wyred 4 DAC LE.

The following suggestions look appealing to me currently:

Cavalli Liquid Carbon (with import taxes probably around 900 quid)
Schiit Mjolnir 2 (Schiit Europe doesn't have any until end of Feb, probably beginning of March, so this one would be a no go for now)
Violectric HPA v281 (if I suddenly strike it filthy rich or save a bit longer, if it's actually worth it; perhaps the v280 is decent too)
Questyle CMA600i (this is an AMP/DAC combo, but I got this one recommended to me by a shop owner)
Oppa HA1 (I don't know much about this one combined with the MrSpeakers headphones)
Bryston BHA-1 (and I don't know much about this one either paired with the Ethers)

I like a sound that edges on slightly warmer and I would like to be able to listen to the HPs all day long, without feeling exhausted.

If anyone has any other suggestions I'd very much welcome them!

Thanks!

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #2 of 15
  Hello!

I've recently been reading a lot about the Ether Flow headphones and decided to go for them as my potential end-game setup.
Now I'm looking for a decent amp around the 1.000 pound price point to match them.
I'd be running this amp fully balanced out of my Wyred 4 DAC LE.

The following suggestions look appealing to me currently:

Cavalli Liquid Carbon (with import taxes probably around 900 quid)
Schiit Mjolnir 2 (Schiit Europe doesn't have any until end of Feb, probably beginning of March, so this one would be a no go for now)
Violectric HPA v281 (if I suddenly strike it filthy rich or save a bit longer, if it's actually worth it; perhaps the v280 is decent too)
Questyle CMA600i (this is an AMP/DAC combo, but I got this one recommended to me by a shop owner)
Oppa HA1 (I don't know much about this one combined with the MrSpeakers headphones)
Bryston BHA-1 (and I don't know much about this one either paired with the Ethers)

I like a sound that edges on slightly warmer and I would like to be able to listen to the HPs all day long, without feeling exhausted.

If anyone has any other suggestions I'd very much welcome them!

Thanks!

My thoughts on the amps you listed:

LC: This is my first recommendation, but I am biased because I have one and I love it.  I've tried many many amps and I've heard stuff that sound better than the LC but not for the price of the LC.  It is very neutral with a slight warmth that makes it easy to listen to for long periods.

MJ2:  I'm not a big fan of Schiit's sound but, if you are, this is a great amp.  Their sound is on the dry/analytical side so you'll want some nice aftermarket tubes with this if you want that slightly warmer, non-fatiguing sound.  This will bump the total cost of the amp by a lot so probably not in budget.

Violectric:  I haven't heard the 281 but every Vio I have heard is very warm.  If you're into a colored sound like that, it's great.  It pairs well with brighter headphones, for sure.  For the Ether, though, I wouldn't recommend it.

Questyle:  I really like this unit.  It's very neutral overall, slightly dry.  It's not going to give you that slight warmth that you are looking for, but I think its neutrality pairs nicely with the neutrality of the Flow.  I think the CMA600i is pretty underrated for what you get and I think this is easy to recommend for most situations.  My one reservation here is that you want something slightly warm and this is pretty neutral.

HA1:  Outclassed by the Questyle at the same price.  I'm also not a huge fan of its bright DAC.

Bryston:  Honestly, never heard it.  I can't help with this one.

Hope this helps a little.  Let me know if you have more questions.

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #3 of 15

Hope this helps a little.  Let me know if you have more questions.

This doesn't help a little, this helps quite a lot. :)

I also noticed that I unintentionally seemed to have listed them in order of what appeared to be the most interesting to me.
Given the fact that you're not the first one to have recommended the LC to me, I'm very much set on going for that one.

I was thinking of perhaps saving another month for something even higher up in price range (ampsandsound's tube amps look great), but your impressions have sealed the deal, and I'm a very impatient man anyways.
I still need to hold out a little bit for my clients to pay me in a couple of days' time, but I believe Cavalli will get my money.
Unless they will have sold out by then, which would be annoying but very plausible.

I threw this list together after a couple of days spent researching, but if there's anything else I should be looking at I'd be all ears.

Jan 18, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #4 of 15
I do enjoy the ampsandsound amps, but know that they're pretty colored too.  Not a problem if that's what you're looking for, obviously.  Other amps more expensive than the LC that I'd recommend include the Wells Milo and LTA MicroZOTL2.  Obviously the more expensive Cavalli amps too, but they're really pricey unless you can find a good deal used.

Jan 18, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #5 of 15
The Amps and Sound Kenzie with my Ether C's is awesome to me. I prefer it to my Liquid Carbon. Yes it does color it but to my liking.

Jan 18, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #6 of 15
The Amps and Sound Kenzie with my Ether C's is awesome to me. I prefer it to my Liquid Carbon. Yes it does color it but to my liking.

I really like the Kenzie with the Ether C Flow, but with the open, which is a more neutral headphone, I prefer to keep it neutral.  Preference thing tho.

Jan 19, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #7 of 15
Thanks very much guys, I think that settles it then.
Since my Wyred 4 DAC has what many people call an analogue sound, I can only hope that the LC brings out the best of exactly that, and I'm sure it won't disappoint.

If all goes well I'll go back to being a lurker for a long time until the itch starts again or the MrSpeakers Electrostats get released. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 8, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #8 of 15
Thanks very much guys, I think that settles it then.
Since my Wyred 4 DAC has what many people call an analogue sound, I can only hope that the LC brings out the best of exactly that, and I'm sure it won't disappoint.

If all goes well I'll go back to being a lurker for a long time until the itch starts again or the MrSpeakers Electrostats get released.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi, I just got my Ether Flow and absolutely love them. I am also looking for an amp that pairs with it. I know this is a while ago but which of these amps did you get eventually? Carbon liquid? What's your impression? Thanks a lot for helping out!

Nov 12, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #9 of 15
Hi, I just got my Ether Flow and absolutely love them. I am also looking for an amp that pairs with it. I know this is a while ago but which of these amps did you get eventually? Carbon liquid? What's your impression? Thanks a lot for helping out!

Hey! Sorry for the late response on this.
I got the Liquid Carbon, but it was defective - loads of distortion etc.
I sent it back for a refund and weighed my options again.

I then got a demo version of the Schiit Ragnarok to try with the Ether Flow, and this led me to realise that I didn't really like the Flows that much - they just sounded incredibly underwhelming in general, even without the actual issues of the LC.
All of this ultimately drove me to get the Focal Utopia, a hybrid tube amp and the Schiit Yggdrasil.
An expensive rabbit hole for sure, but it taught me the valuable lesson of not trusting hype trains off the bat, try out products at length and compare them before making any purchases.

Good luck on finding what you like!

Nov 12, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #10 of 15

I then got a demo version of the Schiit Ragnarok to try with the Ether Flow, and this led me to realise that I didn't really like the Flows that much - they just sounded incredibly underwhelming in general, even without the actual issues of the LC.
All of this ultimately drove me to get the Focal Utopia, a hybrid tube amp and the Schiit Yggdrasil.
An expensive rabbit hole for sure, but it taught me the valuable lesson of not trusting hype trains off the bat, try out products at length and compare them before making any purchases.

Thanks a lot for replying. I tried the Ether Flows at the audio show first so I know how it sounds like and how I would like its sound before I made the purchase. Anyway, I guess I'll have to check out other threads. Thanks a lot.

Nov 13, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #11 of 15
Thanks a lot for replying. I tried the Ether Flows at the audio show first so I know how it sounds like and how I would like its sound before I made the purchase. Anyway, I guess I'll have to check out other threads. Thanks a lot.

It's new to the market, but I've been testing it with the Ether Flow, the Keces S3 is worth looking into: http://keces-audio-usa.com/products/S-3

Nov 13, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #13 of 15

I would not say the Liquid Carbon as a hype train if you got a defective unit and could not evaluate it. I think it is a stellar little amp and I was never found of the Ragnarok or most any other Schiit amp sans the Mjolnir 2 with Mr Speakers headphones. The Utopias are fantastic for sure and I’ll let go of my Yggdrasil from my cold dead hands borrowing a line from Heston.

Nov 14, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #14 of 15
I would not say the Liquid Carbon as a hype train if you got a defective unit and could not evaluate it. I think it is a stellar little amp and I was never found of the Ragnarok or most any other Schiit amp sans the Mjolnir 2 with Mr Speakers headphones. The Utopias are fantastic for sure and I’ll let go of my Yggdrasil from my cold dead hands borrowing a line from Heston.

I was referring to the Ether Flow headphones.

Nov 14, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #15 of 15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back