MRE food?
Nov 10, 2009 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Lil' Knight

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone knows where I can get some MRE food? My dad loves them and I'm thinking of getting 2 or 3 boxes for him. The problem is that I once bought the wrong one (civilian, not military). I see some auctions on eBay but shipping cost is tremendous (~25$/box). Would be great if there's a local store that sells them.

mre.jpg

Nov 10, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #2 of 30
I would imagine a good army surplus store in your area might carry them. There was one I used to remember from my Cub Scout days (they also sold Cub Scout Gear) that used to carry them.

Nov 10, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I second the army surplus store recommendation. This place in Chicago sells them: Army Navy Sales - MEALS READY TO EAT (CASE)

I'm not sure what shipping is though.

LOL, that's the one that I bought. I checked around and found out that they are for civilian. The military package is brownish, instead of clear. My granddad and dad lived through the war so they have special love for them. Last time I paid 40$ for shipping CONUS and then 85$ for shipping back home, which turned out that I bought the wrong one.

Nov 10, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #7 of 30
"Meals Rejected by Ethiopians" are sometimes yummy and I love them, but they are irradiated, and not all that good for you. I've seen them at gun shows and even garage sales.

Nov 11, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #8 of 30
Cool thread. As much as a food lover I am, I find the idea of MRE to be interesting. In a way, you can think of ramen noodles as a common form of MRE. I would like to get some MRE meals since these days I am very busy like a soldier in battle. It's not always a bad idea in a way as long as it's cheap. If it's expensive, it kinda defeats the purpose and you might as well get a quick Big Mac at McDonalds.

Nov 11, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool thread. As much as a food lover I am, I find the idea of MRE to be interesting. In a way, you can think of ramen noodles as a common form of MRE. I would like to get some MRE meals since these days I am very busy like a soldier in battle. It's not always a bad idea in a way as long as it's cheap. If it's expensive, it kinda defeats the purpose and you might as well get a quick Big Mac at McDonalds.

Haha, it's hard to persuade them. It's not about how the food taste (surely, there are many other, much better fast food out there), but about the feeling (or memory?) when they enjoy them.
Quote:

What differentiates between the civilian and military issue?

Maybe your dad and grandpa are used to older style ones, I don't really think packaging color makes huge difference.
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually the difference is pretty big. The civilian one only has the entry and some cookies, coffee, pepper, sugar. The military one, as you see in the pic, has TONS of other stuffs, chocolate, cracker, cookies, fruit mix, tea, coffee and of course, entry.

Nov 11, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #11 of 30
At the risk of sounding like an *ss, why do you want these meals?

EDIT: I guess you answered this question in your recent reply.

Nov 11, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #12 of 30
This is as close as it gets.

All US military MREs for commercial sale are of the 'fell off a truck' or 'purchased for resale by soldier' type. You're unlikely to find a store that will be able to stock them.

SOPAKCO is the biggest supplier of MREs to the military, and the Sure-Pak 12 is their civilian equivalent.

Quote:

What differentiates between the civilian and military issue?

The civilian ones generally have less calories, less salt, and less content (no candy, gum, TP, or Tabasco). Plus the packaging won't quite stand up to the same amount of abuse.

Nov 11, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #13 of 30
The cool thing about MRE packages, if I read correctly, is that some of them are self heating and require no heat source at all. Just add water and let the chemical reaction take place. Quick hot meal in battle. Very cool.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

Nov 11, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #14 of 30
Yeah, that's why it's called military
biggrin.gif

Actually they taste really good and are great for picnic.

I just won an auction on eBay, 40$ cheaper than I expected, which turns out a not really bad deal.

Nov 11, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to get some MRE meals since these days I am very busy like a soldier in battle.

Exactly how busy are Soldiers in battle? If you've not been in battle, it seems rather silly to compare your busy life with a combat situation.

MREs have over 6K calories per package, if everything is eaten. It's made for energy sustainment, so to use it as a quick meal on the go may not be a great idea. It's a good idea, though, to have a few in your trunk during the winter months just in case you get stuck somewhere.

The most important part of the MRE is the Tabasco. Makes everything taste better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back