Mr. AKG has finally purchased a K1000
Sep 16, 2007 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Fitz

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, so I haven't bought a K1000 for a while because for how they sounded to me I did not feel they were worth the $1000+ price that they usually go for now. But I am running out of good out of production AKGs to track down (I have found so many in so little time, I misjudged the difficulty), so when I saw I could get a K1000 for less than $1000, I decided to buy it.

Maybe my opinions will change when I listen to it much more at home than just in meets. But it has to make it to me first before I can listen to it, so for now I just hope it makes it through the mail from Germany to the US safely and quickly. I also need to sell some more stuff, because even though it is cheaper than the usual price, it is more expensive than my other headphones, and I want to look like
k1000smile.gif
and not like
frown.gif

Sep 16, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 25
Congratulations!
biggrin.gif

I have been looking for a sub-$1000 K1000 pair, but have pretty much given up finding one. Seeing you scored a pair gave me a little bit of hope back...

Sep 16, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, so I haven't bought a K1000 for a while because for how they sounded to me I did not feel they were worth the $1000+ price that they usually go for now. But I am running out of good out of production AKGs to track down (I have found so many in so little time, I misjudged the difficulty), so when I saw I could get a K1000 for less than $1000, I decided to buy it.

Maybe my opinions will change when I listen to it much more at home than just in meets. But it has to make it to me first before I can listen to it, so for now I just hope it makes it through the mail from Germany to the US safely and quickly. I also need to sell some more stuff, because even though it is cheaper than the usual price, it is more expensive than my other headphones, and I want to look like
k1000smile.gif
and not like
frown.gif

Don't talk to your wallet, 'cause you might be convinced that the Sextett is a better value...
tongue.gif

Welcome to the club !! ... and enjoy your ride.
wink.gif

Sep 16, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #5 of 25
You'll have to find a way to sextett those K1Ks Fitz, otherwise they wont be at their best.

WP on the good price and good luck with them, I'm sure you'll have us believing they're only the 3rd best AKG in no time.
wink.gif

Sep 16, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #6 of 25
Does re-cabling these and balancing these make them quite a bit better? Ive been looking into these, but i feel the same way about dropping a huge sum on them.

Sep 16, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #7 of 25
Hey that's cool Fitz! I too would be interested in auditioning a pair in my home environment. Not sure they'd be for me, but it's hard to know from quick meet auditions.

Sep 16, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #9 of 25
I will see how they do with my AKG amp first, but I may have put the gain too low for K1000. Otherwise I can use one of the vintage stereo amps I have, or when I finish my new amp make it have adjustable gain for different phones.

I think the drivers are too big to fit with the sextett baffle, but maybe I can construct a new baffle and install the radiators in it, so I can have a K1000 Sextett? It might have too much bass like that, so I maybe I will have to add some vents between the radiators, too. Or maybe I will like the headphones enough stock? I can't predict the future yet, so I don't know.

Sep 16, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm - I wondered who was bidding on those
tongue.gif

Congrats!

I was more interested in who wasn't bidding on them. I kept checking to make sure it was not posted here.
tongue.gif

Sep 16, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #14 of 25
Yes, that is the one.
k1000smile.gif

The other one I watched recently ended a couple days ago for 1010€, and the seller wanted a ridiculously high shipping fee, so I did not bid on that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back