MQA vs Hi Res
Jun 1, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #46 of 51
When I was testing that, I went through about a hundred tracks of all kinds over a period of two weeks. It was important to me because I was planning to encode my entire music library, which adds up to over a year and a half of music. I didn't want to get finished ripping tens of thousands of CDs and then discover that some of them might not have ripped as well as others. When I determined the point of transparency, I added VBR to allow for a little extra data rate if necessary and made for more efficient files. I can safely say that AAC 256 VBR is completely transparent for normal purposes. I don't expect everyone to take my word for it though. I expect them to do their own tests, and I'm confident they'll find out the same thing I did.

The thing I won't pay attention to is someone claiming to hear "night and day" differences when they don't even know the difference between codecs and refuse to do controlled listening tests because "tests lie".

I case you were replying to me, I have often used various listening test in particular double blind and blind when double is not possible. I am just pointing out that blind test still allow expectation bias.

Also CODECs can refer to the encoding format you are refering to, and to a device which has a hardware DAC and ADC. See cirrus.com for some examples.

Jun 2, 2018 at 4:11 AM Post #47 of 51
Blind tests help discourage expectation bias. Yes, I am referring to the encoding format.

Jun 2, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #49 of 51
The point of blind tests are to determine if a difference exists, not the other way around. If you're trying to prove they're the same, you aren't really doing it right.

Jun 2, 2018 at 4:35 AM Post #50 of 51
The point of blind tests are to determine if a difference exists, not the other way around. If you're trying to prove they're the same, you aren't really doing it right.

Then how to do that scientifically.

What Is the the best way to prove two units/decoding systems/processes are indistinguishable to the satisfaction of the the experts on the sound science forum?

Jun 2, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #51 of 51
What Is the the best way to prove two units/decoding systems/processes are indistinguishable to the satisfaction of the the experts on the sound science forum?

Loop back recording and a null test or use RIAA or some other measurement and analysis. This has already been explain to you by @sonitus mirus !

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back