MQA Filed for Bankruptcy
Apr 22, 2023 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

chesebert

18 Years An Extra-Hardcore Head-Fi'er
Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #3 of 9
I might finally go back to Tidal, then! Renewed my Spotify subscription because Qobuz wasn't giving me any fantastic recommendations (even when paired with Roon). Tidal gave me pretty good recommendations with their daily playlists, but I left because I didn't like the sound of MQA compared to the files Qobuz uses.

Apr 25, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #4 of 9
Yeah I don't think anything will match Spotify's recommendation algorithm. I feel like I'll die of old age before they finally push out a hifi model but I also completely understand why it's not a priority for them since they're already the biggest streaming service as far as I know.

If Tidal sees a subscription surge from them purging MQA out of their service I'm hoping it makes them second guess diving into scam formats/codecs again in the future. The fact that CD quality got converted into gimped MQA files really pissed me off.

Apr 25, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #5 of 9
Yeah I don't think anything will match Spotify's recommendation algorithm. I feel like I'll die of old age before they finally push out a hifi model but I also completely understand why it's not a priority for them since they're already the biggest streaming service as far as I know.

If Tidal sees a subscription surge from them purging MQA out of their service I'm hoping it makes them second guess diving into scam formats/codecs again in the future. The fact that CD quality got converted into gimped MQA files really pissed me off.
Lossless might not be a priority for them right now, but imagine what would happen if they did offer hifi. I have seen so many comments from people saying they'd throw away virtually any other music streaming platform and go back to them--I would certainly be one of them!

May 3, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #9 of 9
Not sure what it cost manufacturers to support MQA but hoping this will lower DAC prices for a bit :grin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back