MPX3 v. HR2/SR71?
Feb 10, 2005 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

blessingx

HeadFest '07 Graphic Designer
Supplier of fine logos! His visions of Head-Fi
Okay, a bit of apple & oranges, but anyone who's had some time to listen to Singlepower and one of the Emmelines care to talk about the sonic differences? Would be used HD650s. Currently very happy with my high gain SR71, but contemplating getting back into tubes (previous ASL OTL owner). Also any hum issues I should know about?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 10, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Okay, a bit of apple & oranges, but anyone who's had some time to listen to Singlepower and one of the Emmelines care to talk about the sonic differences? Would be used HD650s. Currently very happy with my high gain SR71, but contemplating getting back into tubes (previous ASL OTL owner). Also any hum issues I should know about?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have used Audio Technica, Sony, Sennheiser, and Grado with the Singlepower amps and I have never heard any hum or other noise. They are very quiet amps.

Feb 10, 2005 at 5:15 PM Post #5 of 21
Thanks for the responses so far. I actually already have a SR71 and listened to a couple HR2s several times, so I'm more curious about the other side as I might pickup a MPX and have far less experience with it (though like what I've heard).

Feb 10, 2005 at 5:29 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
I have used Audio Technica, Sony, Sennheiser, and Grado with the Singlepower amps and I have never heard any hum or other noise. They are very quiet amps.

Same here, unlike ASL OTL amps, I haven't notice any hum with MXP3 using AT, Sony, Senn and Grado.

Feb 10, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #7 of 21
I would recommend HR-2 but with an upgraded power cord. It improved by leaps and bounds when mated with Elrod EPS Signature 2 ($700.00 on audiogon). Soundstage became wider, deeper and with greater focus. The sound became liquid, more lifelike. There was less harshness and the listening experience became more fatigue-free.

As a sidenote, I had the same effect when using the power cord on my cd player (Vectuer L-4) instead of the HR-2. I've heard it also mates well with the Virtual Dynamics Nite power cord.

Feb 10, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #8 of 21
Tuberolling can be an enjoyable and rewarding experience. All these amps are high performance and its really a matter of preference...I will be happy to have one of each thank you
wink.gif

Feb 10, 2005 at 9:48 PM Post #9 of 21
I should say first that I am currently selling an mpx3. However, my previous amp was an HR2, which I also sold on head-fi. I found the HR2 a bit sterile, using 600s with the Cardas cable. The (or mine, anyway) mpx3 might go a bit
too far in the other direction, even with the stock EH tubes. I get a slight hum if
I have the volume up way higher than I would have it when listening to CDs, but in the range where I listen to LPs. However, at that level, the hum from the cartridge/motor is way more audible than what is audible at that volume setting when the preamp is switched to a different (nonplaying) source. I was thinking of trying a Benchmark DAC1 next, but I'm not positive. Prior to the HR2 and mpx3 I had a Cary SLI-80, which for some reason clipped frequently and in general I thought was a bit muddy sounding, despite tons of tube rolling.
Before that, it was a Grado RA-1 (with RS-1). That actually was my favorite combination. Wish I hadn't sold it, despite what is allegedly inside the RA-1. Hope this wasn't too far off the topic.

Feb 11, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #10 of 21
Disclaimer: I have a biased opinion on Singlepower amps and tube amps in general. I love them.

I recently bought and sold an HR-2 with 797s and 825s rolled in there. I didn't like the really polite sound and small headstage (soundstage, etc) of the HR-2. It's build quality is excellent and it is dead quiet with a blackness I have never heard in any other amp before. However, it just didn't do it for me--at all. I easily preferrred the livelier sound (and soundstage) of the Corda HA-2 which I also had in for an audition courtesy of Stevieo.

I have an MPX3 on the way after stupidly selling mine about 6 months ago. With good NOS tubes, I think this amp can sound awesome for the money. It's dead quiet, pretty transparent, and the 6SN7s throw an awesome soundstage. The stock EH tubes are really not a good representation of what the amp can do, although they're a nice reference point.

To me, it's no contest, but please reference my disclaimer.

Feb 11, 2005 at 1:53 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by stryker
Disclaimer: I have a biased opinion on Singlepower amps and tube amps in general. I love them.

Me too
biggrin.gif
The MPX3 has a very dynamic, yet liquid sound. The HR-2 lacks in dynamics for me, but it does have a really nice midrange.

Feb 11, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #12 of 21
Ric,

You are welcome to swing by again to my place to compare the MPX3 with your SR71. I have VT-231 tubs in all three position (which sounds the best with my HD600s in my opinion). Problem is, I might be traveling so timing could be an issue.

BTW - my 2 cents are the MPX3 has a much more "musical" quality over what I remember the HR2 to sound like. The HR2 had a nice sound, but still sounded very SS like.

Feb 11, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #13 of 21
I haven't owned an MPX3 but rather a PPX3. I still own an HR-2.
I was very happy w/ HR-2 but wanted to try tubes and bought a PPX-3 (6cg7). I had no hum issues whatsoever w/ the PPX-3. As you've undoubtedly heard before, the Ray Samuels amps are dead quiet (is this thing on?) between the notes.
I found the PPX-3 too warm and "rounded" in the bass for my taste. I kept missing the bass "texture" I was hearing on the bottom end w/ the HR-2.
I tried a bit of tube rolling and even a Sony CD3K headphone to try to wake it up but eventually decided I was trying to force the situation and retired.
The PPX3 didn't sound bad; quite on the contrary in fact, and Mikhail was a very nice guy to deal with.
I eventually bought a Ray Samuels Stealth which is much more "neutral" than the PPX-3 was. Many have said this is a very SS sounding tube amp. I don't know if I agree with that characterization but lets say it's less "solid statish" than the PPX-3 was "tubey".
I recently heard the Raptor and did some close A/B listening w/ both the HR-2 and the Stealth. IMO the HR-2 is very "tubey" for solid state and the Stealth is very "source accurate" for a tube amp. I love my HR-2 at least as much as the Stealth as a headphone amp. It's got incredibly dynamic drums and bass compared to most tube amps I've heard. Many here dis the soundstage of the HR-2 but my listening tells me that each instrument has its "space" and that the front to back soundstage is "vivid". The Raptor sounded very much like the Stealth minus a couple of inputs and pre function. (Beware: the Raptor runs significantly warmer than the Stealth)
As Billy said, the Raptor is probably a more price-comparable match for the MPX-3.
Hope some of this helps even if it's not dead on-topic.
CPW

Feb 11, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw
I haven't owned an MPX3 but rather a PPX3. I still own an HR-2.

The PPX3 is a very warm and tubey sounding amp. The MPX3 sounds much more transparent and open.

Feb 11, 2005 at 4:08 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
The PPX3 is a very warm and tubey sounding amp. The MPX3 sounds much more transparent and open.

That's my understanding too.
Quote:

anyone who's had some time to listen to Singlepower and one of the Emmelines care to talk about the sonic differences?

did my best given experience and the question.
CPW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back