MPX3 Slam or Woo WA6 (maxed) for K701s
Nov 5, 2007 at 3:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

No Deal

100+ Head-Fier
Several of you have made know publicly and privately your thoughts on what amp is best for the AKG K701s. I narrowed my choice down to the two subject amps understanding that there is a price difference. I appreciate your input.

After the things that have transpired in the process of me trying to make the decision and acquire the amp, I have been left miserable and confused and I regret some things. I now have one final request for help. Can someone can please tell me how to get the microwave oven started while my head is inside?
confused.gif

Thank you in advance.

Nov 5, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by No Deal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After the things that have transpired in the process of me trying to make the decision and acquire the amp, I have been left miserable and confused and I regret some things. I now have one final request for help. Can someone can please tell me how to get the microwave oven started while my head is inside?
confused.gif

Thank you in advance.

What?!
frown.gif

Nov 5, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 16
After reading all of the pros and cons and trying to sort out who is using what headphone with the amp that they say is the best, it is enough to make you give up. Yesterday I read someone's post that indicated utter astonishment that someone was buying an amp without hearing it first. Well. what is the solution for that and how many of us can afford to order them all in in the custom configurations for the "Amplifier Shootout"?

In the end it is an individual decision that could mean a lot of money wasted. Nobody wants to, nor should they be put in the position of telling you yo buy something and you will without a doubt be happy. The results of the purchase are in the ears of the beholder.

If anyone that respects their money doesn't understand how hard it is to make a good decision on this, I don't know what they are thinking. It's enough to make you want to put your head in the microwave, with Etymotics on so there is more room.

I am going to buy and not say what so I can't be ridiculed. I will then fade into the forum shadows and become a spectator. I have nothing of value to add anyway.

I have to go. Dr Laura is coming on.

Nov 5, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 16
There should be lots of K701 users who can point you towards recommended amps to use with the K701 for your budget. End of the day though, they are recommendations based on their experiences, their preferences and your own tastes will probably vary.

If you want to try a tube amp that is a bit cheaper than the two you listed here, there seem to be several happy Darkvoice 332 & K701 users.
You are in the USA, so you will be able to sell your amp on head-fi at very little loss if you dont like it with the K701.

I got a maxed woo6 last week and I'm enjoying it quite a lot. Sorry I cant be of more help, I havent heard the K701's personally.

Nov 5, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #6 of 16
The info here on Head-Fi can indeed be overwhelming for those just getting into this accursed addiction.
tongue.gif

IMO, there really aren't that many outright bad choices for a tube amp for the K701. Tube amps in general are nicely paired with it, and you can't go wrong with most of them, so I'd almost say you could just pick one at random. Though you don't really need an amp designed for low-impedance loads (like transformer-coupled ones apparently, like the WA6), pretty much any tube amp will drive the K701 just fine. But you'll want a tubey-sounding one to get the most out of the pairing. I heard my K701 out of a Cayin HA-1A (now sold) and a Singlepower Extreme (previously owned). The Extreme was a great pairing, I loved it. And there are zillions of tube options too. I'd definitely recommend a Singlepower amp, every product looks like a statement piece and Mikhail really puts his effort into every one - though maybe a little too much because he always takes a long time to build.
wink.gif

Nov 5, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The info here on Head-Fi can indeed be overwhelming for those just getting into this accursed addiction.
tongue.gif

IMO, there really aren't that many outright bad choices for a tube amp for the K701. Tube amps in general are nicely paired with it, and you can't go wrong with most of them, so I'd almost say you could just pick one at random. Though you don't really need an amp designed for low-impedance loads (like transformer-coupled ones apparently, like the WA6), pretty much any tube amp will drive the K701 just fine. But you'll want a tubey-sounding one to get the most out of the pairing. I heard my K701 out of a Cayin HA-1A (now sold) and a Singlepower Extreme (previously owned). The Extreme was a great pairing, I loved it. And there are zillions of tube options too. I'd definitely recommend a Singlepower amp, every product looks like a statement piece and Mikhail really puts his effort into every one - though maybe a little too much because he always takes a long time to build.
wink.gif

I am in agreement with Asr .... or he is in agreement with me. For the 701's you cant beat the Extreme with a complimentary tube set.

I posted this excerpt in another thread. I love listening to the PPX3 SLAM and MPX3 SLAM / SLAM SE .... but for 701's the Extreme is a great choice.

HPIM0279.jpg

HPIM0276.jpg

HPIM0144.jpg

HPIM0126.jpg

This grouping shows my Singlepower Extreme and Extreme Platinum. The Extreme pumps out approximately 1.8 watts and will drive anything. This amp is the best I have tried with the 701. The Extreme is also awesome with the Alessandro MS2i and Senn 580/600 .... and while I dont particularly like the Beyer DT880 the Extreme sounded the best with this headphone to me too. I think the plain stock $999 Extreme is the best amp value on the board .... along with the $899/ ($600-625 used) PPX3 SLAM. I saw a used Extreme recently for $875. So, these do show up if you are patient.

Nov 5, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Can someone can please tell me how to get the microwave oven started while my head is inside?
confused.gif

Thank you in advance.

you need to bypass the switch that senses whether the door is properly closed or not.

i've not heard the 701s as I'm a Senn guy, but i have had both MPX3 SLAM SE and a maxed out WA6. I kept the MPX3 SLAM SE.

Nov 6, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #10 of 16
I would pick the Extreme amp as well. Plus you can always upgrade that Extreme w/ a "platinum" option to get the best amp under 2.5k.

Nov 6, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ichinichi and SACDLover, could you explain a little more about the differences you heard between the Woo6 and your MPX3s when you had them?

Thanks

SACDlover has been kind enough to pass on his thoughts already. I am grateful for his help.

Nov 6, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Can someone can please tell me how to get the microwave oven started while my head is inside?
confused.gif

Thank you in advance.

You may find that you have to go to a Gas Oven in lieu of the microwave. It's retro, but was very effective for Slyvia Plath....... but seriously, I'll chime in and agree on the Singlepower Extreme. By far the best sound I have heard out of my K701's, but also Senn 600s sound great as well as every headphone I have used it with. For the "Tubiest" sound I have found that 5998's with a 60s vintage Amperex Bugle Boy 12 AU7 gives the greatest warmth plus clarity. You may be able to find a used Extreme in the $800 range.

Nov 6, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #13 of 16
Some of the Woo owners make a good case for that amp too. Right now I can see no way out of this situation without buying both amps. So I will. One now, and one after I settle up with Santa. After I have listened, I will sell one. Unfortunately, there isn't a better way to do this.

Nov 6, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Some of the Woo owners make a good case for that amp too. Right now I can see no way out of this situation without buying both amps. So I will. One now, and one after I settle up with Santa. After I have listened, I will sell one. Unfortunately, there isn't a better way to do this.

Sounds like a wonderful plan to me. Please do share your thoughts in a head-to-head comparison after you've listened to them both! I'm planning to build a K701 rig next and would really appreciate that input.

Nov 26, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #15 of 16
OK. I have never heard the Extreme. I do have an MPX3 SE Slam. After my latest hearing operation (which you will not need) my 701s work well with every combination i have tried. Admittedly if you put a high gain tube in the input position, they will play louder, but I have not experienced any tube combination that will leave the 701 standing still.

Good luck. I understand, climbing inside an industrial drier and turning it on to woolens does the job nicely for about $2.50 in quarters: medium rare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back