MPX3 Owners: Which Options Biggest Bang for Buck?
Feb 8, 2008 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

wfranklin

100+ Head-Fier
For those who own (or have owned) Singlepower MPX3, which options (in your opinion) represent the biggest bang for the buck? I don't have an unlimited budget, so am trying to determine which of the 8 or so available manufacturer's options make the most difference in the sound and performance of the MPX3. Thanks in advance for your help.

Feb 8, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #2 of 12
Before I give you my preferences, I have three questions/comments:
1. What options are available these days?
2. Do you have a firm price from Mikhail for each of the options?
3. If you don't, how can you tell what "gives the biggest bang for the buck?"

I am a strong supporter of SinglePower!!!

Having said, I would say nothing, for me and audio equipment in general my first interest is almost always the power supply.

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before I give you my preferences, I have three questions/comments:
1. What options are available these days?
2. Do you have a firm price from Mikhail for each of the options?
3. If you don't, how can you tell what "gives the biggest bang for the buck?"

I am a strong supporter of SinglePower!!!

Having said, I would say nothing, for me and audio equipment in general my first interest is almost always the power supply.

The options and prices posted on his site are:
Power supply cap upgrade $65
Premium power supply cap upgrade $160
Ultimate power supply " " $285
Stepped attenuator $285
Cardas RCA input jacks $39
Neutrik locking headphone jack $49
Jensen coupling cap upgrade $154
Preamp outputs $119

Feb 9, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 12
His site is sooooooooooooo out of date. You need to e-mail him for updated prices and options. Its rather confusing but his equipment loved by so many that people don't seem to care. If you get one then let me know so I can be jealous.

Feb 9, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Power supply, power supply and power supply.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorito123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
His site is sooooooooooooo out of date. You need to e-mail him for updated prices and options. Its rather confusing but his equipment loved by so many that people don't seem to care. If you get one then let me know so I can be jealous.

I think you must contact SinglePower to have any idea of what you can expect for upgrade options, prices, and delivery time (although the last one should be taken with a grain of salt, sadly).

I have owned a close to stock MPX3 with some upgraded caps and such, and then owned a maxxed version with upgraded power supply and the ability to employ higher voltage drive and output tubes in addition to the 6SN7. I would say that you need at least the minimum upgrades to achieve that flexibility. For me, it went from a nice sounding amp that was a great one-note instrument (even though different 6SN7s will give variations on that note), to an extremely flexible amp that could be different instruments let alone play different notes. It was a huge improvement and allowed me to listen to all kinds of music and all kinds of headphones.

My other advice is to strongly consider buying the MPX3 that pfkman23 has up for sale in the For Sale forum. It is an outstanding amp at a great price. It has even more options and more flexibility because it can run 12V tubes as well, iirc.

Good luck!

Feb 9, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #9 of 12
I don't know if Moon-Audio is up to date or not. But so far two people have said work on the power supply, first. I personally don't think I'd ever recommend putting a Plitron in an MPX-3. But I think I have what amounts to a Supra power supply in my amp. Ask Voltron what he has in his. I think he is 100% spot-on in describing this amp. You'd have a hard time convincing me, for example, that the Extreme can do as many things well as an MPX3 Slam SE,especially if you love the 6SN7. But it also is a high-impact amp using the 5687 and perhaps even more so using the high power option and the 6BL7gta and the 6BX7gt.

Go slow. And, buying used is not a bad idea either.

Mar 23, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #11 of 12
SLAM typically refers to 5687 as output tubes, whereas the SE refers to the 6BL7GT/A and 6BX7GT and the modifications to the circuited needed to optimize for these tubes. Neither refer to the 6sn7s as output tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back