MPX-3 FAQ
May 22, 2004 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

BillyHOEZ

100+ Head-Fier
hey everyone,

just a quick question...out of the 3 tube inputs, which socket is for the driver position? Also, what do the other two sockets do exactly? I'm completely new to tube amps and would like to develop a better understanding of the basic operating principles of this marvelous amp! Thanks!

--BillyHOEZ
smily_headphones1.gif

May 22, 2004 at 9:16 PM Post #2 of 4
In the new mpx3 the left most tube is the driver tube. The old mpx was opposite with the right most tube being the driver tube. The driver tube does just that driving the other two tubes which are the output tubes. The output tubes are for the right and left stereo channels and actually supply the power to the headphones . The most amplification occurs in the single driver tube and thus this tube needs to have the lowest noise and microphonics of the three tubes. If noise or microphonics are present in the driver tube they will be passed on and amplified by the output tubes.

May 22, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the input...god this amp is TRULY incredible...I got it yesterday and I'm still in the "burn in" process - - I'll definitely keep you guys posted with the sonic improvements over the hpa-1 in a few weeks once this sucker is fully burned in!
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2004 at 4:24 AM Post #4 of 4
I have the old chasis MPX3 and i am already amazed on what it can do .
Your MPX3 is a new version and has more upgrades than the older one so i can just imagine that it is better.

So far im almost done with my system - just waiting for aa audience power cord for the MPX3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back