MPD - Linux music player...
Jul 8, 2009 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

AudioPhewl

500+ Head-Fier
Am thinking of switching to it, as I've still not grown fond of Amarok 2(I doubt a puke smiley exists that demonstrates how much I dislike it). Does anyone know of any good front-ends for it? Hopefully something similar to Amarok 1.4...
wink.gif

Secondly, the last time I had a play with it(a year or two back), it had problems sorting my various artists directories. They were all listed under the artists name, rather than being held as a compilation. Is this avoidable?

Thanks,

~Phewl.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #2 of 3
mpd doesn't sort your music or anything. The different front ends may do some sorting, but mpd doesn't. I use mpd with Sonata on one of my computers and like the simple interface. My music is organised in artist folders and album sub-folders. I like it simple like this since I always listen by album. I hate front-ends that mix up my albums when I have the same album in different versions or different formats, or try to show songs of a compilation mixed in with songs by the same artist.
My new computer is organised the same way, but I am using audacious instead and kind of liking it.

Jul 9, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #3 of 3
All my music is stored in:-

/media/music/artist - album/track number - track name.extension
/media/music/FLAC/artist - album/yadda...

So I don't mind navigating through just a directory-based structure. But are there any frontends that will correctly organise music by artist, yet still retain various albums under a separate category?

Thanks,

~Phewl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back