MP3Gain.. what level?
Feb 21, 2004 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

KandieMan

Head-Fier
I just downloaded MP3Gain today and it seems quite nice indeed! I haven't done extensive tests.. only about 5 files and set them all to 92db, then 98... they did get louder but I didn't notice any change in quality...

Why not make all files 98db (or higher??), it seems to be "okay" to do!

Feb 22, 2004 at 3:34 AM Post #2 of 16
Clipping is the main reason not to boost loudness too much. With most newer CD's, they've been compressed within an inch of their life, and the loudness is already running at near 0dB. Boosting it more will just make transients clip.

The default for MP3Gain is 89dB, and that's what I use. I've never had any song clip with that.

Besides, you'd be suprised how loud 89dB is. (1dB below what most people agree to cause permanent hearing damage) Just turn up the volume on your speakers or headphones if you want it louder.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Feb 23, 2004 at 2:01 AM Post #3 of 16
On a slightly related note, does anyone think it's worth it to load up all my MP3's in MP3 Gain, set them all to 89db and re-upload them to my Nomad Jukebox 3? I'm thinking about doing that, to make all the songs have smilar volume...

Feb 23, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #4 of 16
good question... i'd like to know anyone experienced with this. if there is no loss of quality as the site claims, would there be any risk to normalizing a large collection to the same volume level..?

Feb 23, 2004 at 3:11 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia
good question... i'd like to know anyone experienced with this. if there is no loss of quality as the site claims, would there be any risk to normalizing a large collection to the same volume level..?

Just a suggestion, but maybe reading more about MP3Gain would help answer that question. Or do a search over at Hydrogen Audio about it.

MP3Gain doesn't affect the actual audio data of the file in a damaging way, it's just changing the perceived loudness of any files it processes. And although people keep calling it "normalizing" it's probably more accurate, in the case of MP3Gain, to call it "audio level synchronization" or some other off the wall idea.

Normalization is such a nasty word these days, and true normalization (the way almost all non-MP3Gain methods require you to go through to accomplish) isn't such a good thing either.

I've done entire hard drives full of MP3 files done with EAC + LAME 3.90 to the same level, 89db - never had any issues. And it's fantastic not having to reach for the damned volume control with every song or album change.

biggrin.gif

br0adband

Feb 23, 2004 at 3:52 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

I've done entire hard drives full of MP3 files done with EAC + LAME 3.90 to the same level, 89db - never had any issues. And it's fantastic not having to reach for the damned volume control with every song or album change.

You do that to albums you've ripped? Why? I could understand doing an album leveling, so all your albums are roughly the same volume, but the songs themselves the same volume? What about dynamic range in the music?

Feb 23, 2004 at 4:42 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Stephonovich
You do that to albums you've ripped? Why? I could understand doing an album leveling, so all your albums are roughly the same volume, but the songs themselves the same volume? What about dynamic range in the music?

And again, someone isn't READING what MP3Gain actually does.

The dynamics aren't touched at all, this isn't normalization or limiting like everyone thinks it is. Look at it this way: If you're listening to some kind of high dynamic music, say some classical music with lots of low parts with wind instruments and then WHAM outta nowhere you get hit with a full on crescendo of the entire orchestra blasting away, do you reach for the volume control to turn it down at that point (or if you've heard the song before and you know what to expect so you begin turning it down at *just* the right time)?

If you do, then that's considered limiting because you're "limiting" the volume of the playback but you're not "compressing" the dynamics, which are still there untouched in the original source.

Compressing/Limiting is what radio stations do to music they're broadcasting, they use devices called compressors and limiters (and no, it's not audio compression like mp3, it is simply keeping the constant audio playback at a specific level). Compressors are used to limit the dynamics of the music. The part about saying "Compressors" and having people understand I don't mean MP3/AAC/Ogg/WMA/etc audio compression can be a major sticking point. This kind of compression/limiting is compressing/reducing/limiting the dynamics and playback levels - audio compression is primarily about smaller file sizes. Tp put it bluntly, compressors control the audio dyamics, limiters control the audio volume. Please note dynamics and volume are two different things yet they are both parts of the final result: audio output.

So using my example above, you didn't compress the music's dynamic range, you just limited it by lowering the volume to account for and negate the effect of the crescendo. The perceived volume of music would be staying roughly the same.

If the actual audio level of a specific section of music was 4 on a scale and yet you boosted it to 6, and the crescendo rated an 8 and you lowered it to 6, you just limited the audio level from the highs and lows to a nice even setting.

Here's a page that gets pretty technical but it might help:

How to best use Compression (not the mp3 kind)

MP3Gain doesn't do compressor/limiter functions. It merely takes an audio source file and performs mathematical operations on it based on psychoacoustic models that compute the perceived level of audio playback and modifies the files to play at a specified level (as defined by db in the settings, 89db is pretty much the defacto standard for audio production).

Hope this helps,
br0adband

ps
As explained in the MP3Gain help files, I could do something to the following procedure and still not affect the original mp3 file:

1) Make an MP3 of my choice (EAC + LAME 3.90.3 would do it) and make two copies of it, one for control and one for modification and testing..
2) Convert that test file to an 89db level with MP3Gain.
3) Convert that test MP3 to a WAV file while retaining the pre-WAV MP3.
4) Take that testMP3 and process it with MP3Gain 100 times, each time choosing a random db level, like 95db the first run, 50db the second run, etc etc.
5) After 100 processing runs, set the level back at the original 89db level.
6) Take that test mp3 file and convert it to another WAV file (not overwriting the first WAV, of course)
7) Compare the two WAV files.

Theoretically, the two WAV files *should* match, bit for bit.

I might do this sometime just for fun.
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2004 at 5:04 AM Post #10 of 16
Sorry for my mistake then; 'twas a very informative lesson.

However, I decided to take you up on your proposed test, using a file ripped with EAC w/ Secure, encoded in LAME 3.90.3 using --aps -m s -k, and MP3Gain v. 1.4.3. After doing a ton (20? 30?) of different settings, (ranging from .1dB to 500dB) I eventually put it back down to what it came at, 98.5dB. (song is Incubus's Drive) Decoded back to WAV (again, using LAME 3.90.3), and used EAC to comapare the two. It returned a 'different samples' error. One is .024s longer. I can't see 24 thousandths of a second making any difference, but still, it is there. Perhaps me taking it up to 500dB caused this. A more normal range, as you suggested, might have different results.

Feb 23, 2004 at 5:24 AM Post #11 of 16
500db!!!!! OMG!!!

You're serious? Holy freakin' geezus...

What? I can't hear you... even though I'm probably several thousand miles away, I'm deaf now... some noise earlier tonight

tongue.gif

br0adband

Feb 23, 2004 at 5:30 AM Post #12 of 16
Notice I didn't listen to them...
biggrin.gif
Actually, I tried listening to the 500dB one, with the volume just hovering above 0, and all I got was loud hissing. No suprise there.

Feb 23, 2004 at 6:03 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by br0adband

I have done this with FLAC and its --replay-gain feature. It is essentially the same thing. It works really well. It supports two different gain settings for each track, "Album" and "Radio".

"Radio" accomplishes what is described here (i.e., all tracks will play back at the same target volume). This is very handy when you are doing random play across albums.

"Album" is like "Radio", but it treats an entire album as a unit. In this way, random-playing entire albums will respect the relative loudness between tracks on that album while normalizing the volume across albums.

It all works well, but when I am actively listening to an album (which is a bit rare, I must admit), I turn off replay-gain and just adjust the volume on my amp.

Feb 23, 2004 at 6:38 AM Post #14 of 16
Supposedly, the Nomad Jukebox 3 outputs at 98db...so would making all the music 89db have any problems in terms of quality? Like would making all of the MP3's at 98db be better?

Feb 23, 2004 at 1:19 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Rukes
Supposedly, the Nomad Jukebox 3 outputs at 98db...so would making all the music 89db have any problems in terms of quality? Like would making all of the MP3's at 98db be better?

two different things here.

NJB3's 98dB rating is for SNR - Signal to Noise ratio... basically, how much noise you can hear in the background or during quieter passages.. like a slight hiss or fuzzy radio-alike sound. The higher the dB, the greater the seperation from the noise floor, and the less background noise. However, be forewarned to take these manufacturer-provided specs with a grain of salt. They are almost never an accurate portrait of the real SNR rating. Most consumer-level audio products fudge on SNR and output power and there isn't much regulation. Ever see cheap computer speakers claiming 500 watt output? Same kinda thing.. sure it might, theoretically, for .0001 second before it melted into oblivian. Anway, back OT, no MP3 player is audiophile quality, but NJB3 is about as close as they come.

The dB levels being discussed here relate to the volume levels of the tracks (MP3 files). The same song can be adjusted to sound quiet at a player's maximum output, or extremely loud at a player's maximum output.. depending on the what level the floor is set at. Some CD's sound louder that others at the same volume setting on your player, because the level on that CD is set at the recording studio but there isn't any hard standard. So MP3Gain is supposed to help set them all the same level so you don't have to adjust your player's volume. Supposedly this will not cause any loss of quality, as I understand it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back