MP3CD players - CD play back quality?
Jul 2, 2002 at 6:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

shafu

500+ Head-Fier
I'm trying to decide between the Sony D-CJ01 and the SlimX. I'ver read some of the pros and cons of each, but was wondering about the CD playback quality of the two. How do they compare?

I would probably be mostly listening to CDs but like the flexibility of having MP3 as well....

Jul 2, 2002 at 11:10 AM Post #2 of 16
I'll make the decision even harder for you then...

The D-CJ01 has the edge on actual quality (less hiss, etc) but has a lower output than the SlimX - making it unsuitable for use aith anything but earphones or Eggos.

Jul 2, 2002 at 3:53 PM Post #4 of 16
Oh OK - the DCJ01 should cope fine with those. In fact, if you use the 4P, the SlimX will disappoint!

Jul 2, 2002 at 8:13 PM Post #5 of 16
I have to agree with the point about the SlimX will sound with the 4P's. The SlimX does have an outstanding sound quality but it still suffers from a degree of line noise from the headphone out socket. I personally am not all that bothered in line noise, my brain tends to filter it out after a few seconds but it is there nontheless.

There are two solutions to this problem. One is to use the 4P to 4S adaptor cable - although this does render the line noise almost inaudible (quite an achievement for Etymotics - believe me) it does also produce a deduction in volume.

The second solution is to use a headphone amp with the SlimX. Although the headphone and line out do share the same pathway, the line out still sounds clean with the tone controls set to flat - the only noise then is from the Airhead amp.

I hope this info is useful.

Jul 3, 2002 at 12:35 AM Post #6 of 16
Peddler - Some quesitons:

- The sound quality of CD playing on the SlimX really good? (or as good as the Sony?)

- Would you only recommend the SlimX with an amp? OR can the SlimX really power a ER4S? (I wasn't planning on getting an amp for awhile)

- Is the hiss on the SlimX comparable to the Intel Pocket Concert?

- Is it possible to use the line out jack with headphones? (I think I read somewhere that the volume also controls the line out)

- Is the hiss only with MP3s or also with standard CDs?

It sounds like waiting for the next generation CDMP3 players makes the most sense. Or do I go minidisc....

Jul 3, 2002 at 3:52 AM Post #7 of 16
The sound on the slimx is difficult to compare. With the EQ settings, you can set the player to sound how you want it to sound. The hp and line out are integrated somehow and the EQ works on both. I kinda like that feature.
My experience with the hiss is that it appears only on certain recordings(cd) and will appear on your mp3s if it is present on the original. I also looked at the sony, but I don't thinks it's firmware is upgradable. I could be wrong, so you can check.
As far how it sounds with Etys, sorry. I listen with my Grados and Koss KSC35.
hope this helps,
md

Jul 3, 2002 at 7:26 AM Post #8 of 16
Um.... It looks like you're leaning towards the SlimX. Which is probably a better decision if you're listening on the move (i.e. absolute audio quality is not an issue.)

I've actually tried both - I got the D-CJ01 first, got the SlimX later, then returned the SlimX. I chose like the way the CJ01 looks better - it looks different and it uses the more tasteful Sony remote.

The D-CJ01 is as good as an MD player in terms of sound reproduction (especially if the source is good), but it is nearly as gutless. You'd better stick to earphones with these babies.

If you're happy with the slightly worse outs of the SlimX, you have more options as to what you can drive from these - although for anything really decent you will still of course need an amp.

Jul 3, 2002 at 7:58 AM Post #9 of 16
Magicthyse -

I'm actually still torn between the two. I've heard so much about the SlimX's ability to manage a lot of different encoding types, have better navigation, etc...

But the absolute sound quality is going deciding factor (which is why I bought the ER4P). In particular, as I started this thread, I'm interested in the CD playing sound quality between the two - MP3 is secondary. Eventually I'll get the ER4S adapter and a dedicated amp, but I feel the need to upgrade my source first. I'm using my laptop for CDs, have a e90 MD player, and an Intel Pocket Concert - like the CD out of the laptop the best with the ER4P, but like the flexibility of the MD and IPC.

Does the SlimX sound worse because of the hiss? Or even without the hiss, the Sony sound better? Does anyone know if the hiss can be fixed with a firmware upgrade?

It seems like the Sony is going to be better now, but SlimX may be better in the long run? Then again, the Sony is about $50 cheaper. Argghhh... still torn.

BTW - does the Sony have good folder navigation for MP3s?

Jul 3, 2002 at 8:15 AM Post #10 of 16
I feel that the hiss on the SlimX is from the op amp in the unit and is therefore unafffected by different recordings.

I have the SlimX, the Sony D-915, Panasonic 570 and an older Panasonic CD player. All are good. From a pure sound quality perspective I think the Sony D-915 is the best sounding unit but the SlimX is not that far behind.

If you are planning to use the Ety 4S with the SlimX then I would strongly suggest investing in a headphone amp at some point in time.

SlimX Pro's.
Plays virtually anything - I wouldn't be surprised if it could get a sound out of a beermat.

Strong headphone output. Slightly better than most portable players these days.

Lots of things to play with on the remote control.

SlimX Cons.
I'm afraid the player does skip - even with the enhanced skip protection switched on. When the batteries are fully charged this problem is minimal but I honestly don't think for one minute that you could jog with it.

The battery life is definitely not as good as the Sony unit.

There is some hiss from the headphone out. This hiss does depend on the type of headphones that you use with the unit. Ety 4P's do definitely show up the hiss.

Which player do I use? I tend to still use the SlimX most of the time because it copes with every disc you throw at it. The sound quality (when used with an external amp) is absolutely spot on - no compromises - no problems. As a pure portable player, perhaps the Sony MP3/CD unit would be better due to the G-Protection but as a stand-alone unit, it's bang on.

Jul 3, 2002 at 9:05 AM Post #11 of 16
The slimx copes better with many MP3 formats - but once again, if absolute sound quality is the issue, you wouldn't be using MP3's - of course you will! With a good-source MP3 (320K CBR for example), the D-CJ01 sounds very good indeed. Both players have the slightly annoying pause between tracks when playing MP3's.

With CD, there is no issue with either player. With the SlimX I had, I got a track delay but I understand they've fixed that with new firmware. You know, the firmware feature is nice but it seems that they're fixing bugs with each release more than anything else - in comparison the D-CJ01 stands relatively bug free.

The D-CJ01 works out more expensive in the end, because you'll want the RM-MC11EL remote. Europe-spec models ship with this remote, which is the reason that they're about $50 equivalent more expensive.

The reason I made my choice is that close up, the SlimX just didn't look as nice as the D-CJ01 and it didn't sound quite as good (although it was louder). Folder navigation is easy on the D-CJ01 (there are a couple of dedicated buttons on the unit, it's slightly more convoluted on the remote but not unduly so), I don't use the radio, I don't have a need for equalization features.

Finally I liked the SlimX remote for the sheer amount of info it presented, but it was a bit geeky for me - and I own a number of RM-MC11 remotes now
smily_headphones1.gif
so a spare was nice.

Jul 3, 2002 at 12:49 PM Post #12 of 16
You asked whether a SlimX could drive the Ety E4-S out of its headphone jack. I just so happen to have both those items in front of me right now. I've never used the Etys with the SlimX without an amp, but I'll try it right now.
Not so bad.. Not so bad at all.. After a very brief listen I think the SlimX gets better sound out of the Etys then it does out of the HD280s. The Slimx drives the Etys respectably.

Jul 4, 2002 at 8:53 PM Post #13 of 16
Thanks guys for your input. I'll probably go and try out the players this weekend - and bring my headphones.

Had a question about the remote. I have an old sony E90 minidisc player - can I use that remote on the MP3Cd player? Will I get all of the functionality, such as folder navigation, off of this remote?

Thanks.

Jul 8, 2002 at 2:50 AM Post #14 of 16
I have both d-cj01 and slim-x. The sony has a rounder and smoother sound which I like better. (to some, it may sound like the highs are slightly recessed.) I also like the simplicity of the sony. I do like the iriver in terms of design and built in gadgets but these days I find myself carrying the sony with my ex70lp or mdr-v6 around more.

Jul 8, 2002 at 1:54 PM Post #15 of 16
i have seen the slimX at $200....but the sony website now says a $20 price drop to $130.

i want to get one of these CD/MP3 players too...(use with koss 35s or Senn mx500).

a couple questions:

1. one previous comment referred to am/fm radio....that would be nice, but i don't see it on the sony dcj01...is it on the optional remote?

2. also, will the Sony read 320 VBR as well as 320 CBR?; also are there any restrictions as to file names, or will the display just truncate? some players make you rename all files to 9 characters. any other kinks on getting mp3s cd to work properly on the sony?

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back