MP3, WMA or OGG ?
Nov 12, 2006 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Chivalry

100+ Head-Fier
Ok took the plunge and bought my first DAP!!!
biggrin.gif

now it supports quite a few types of formats.. but i dont know what is the best to use? or what program is good for converting from 1 to another format.. any help please?
smily_headphones1.gif

oh,, ended up going for the YP-5Z looks loverly!

http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/d...s/ypz5_lrg.jpg

Nov 12, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #2 of 13
I don't know which codecs the Samsung YP-Z5 supports within the Ogg container.
But if possible, I recommend Ogg FLAC. Since its lossless...
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 13
Keep in mind your portable library will outlive your player. I like 115 VBR m4a(Nero encoder) for portable. I'm pretty confident almost all players will support m4a/AAC in the future. Or go with 160kbit MP3; a great compromise too IMO.

Nov 12, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis
I don't know which codecs the Samsung YP-Z5 supports within the Ogg container.
But if possible, I recommend Ogg FLAC. Since its lossless...
smily_headphones1.gif

lossless = uncompressed? whats the average size of a song if its ogg FLAC? thnx!

Nov 12, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chivalry
lossless = uncompressed? whats the average size of a song if its ogg FLAC? thnx!

Lossless = Compressed. Without loss, just like Zip...
Average file size around 65% of the uncompressed one, but with 100% of its sound quality.

Nov 12, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #7 of 13
i think it only supports ogg vorbis, so its not really an issue.

ogg will give you the best sound quality for the bitrate, but hardly any many stream players support it. mp3 is supported by all of them, so it will allow you the most options down the road.

Nov 12, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #8 of 13
MP3 LAME... either the V2 or V1 switch.

It's compatible with 99% of the players on the market...and future markets. Most people can't tell the differance between V2 and the original cd on a dap using an abx test. It'll save you battery life and space.

Check out the links in my sig. I recommend doing an abx test as well...

Nov 12, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #10 of 13
I would use mp3 for the sake of battery life and just rip to wavpack for pc use. You can transocde the wavpack files on the fly, so you will always be able to use the idle codec for the situation. Lossless has no place on a portable imo because it is a battery drain, limits the quantity of music you can put on the player, and provides no tangible advantages in a portable environment .

Nov 12, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #11 of 13
thnks
smily_headphones1.gif
whats a good program for converting my CD`s into mp3 v2?

thanks again for the help
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 13, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #12 of 13
There is a guide in my sig. It has a link on where to download the LAME codec. It also has where to download EAC.

EAC is the program you use to rip. It's hands down the most recommened program for ripping cds. Just set up everything like the guide says and you'll be golden.

Nov 13, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #13 of 13
I once specifically ripped a CD into V0 320 kbit Lame mp3 and into OGG VBR to see if I spot a difference between those 2 formats. And I did, OGG sounded MUCH-MUCH better, more close to original than mp3, so I'd suggest OGG all the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back