MP3 vs Uncompressed
Feb 5, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #91 of 218
I remember the Pepsi challenge and I was able to tell very quickly which was CC and which was Pepsi. The warmer one was always CC.

At maxed VB MP3 using Lame it is fairly transparent and almost equal to a CD. But anything less and it becomes much more clear the differences, especially with good equipment with lots of detail, aka, W5000 and HA5000 feed by my Lavry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altoids /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What offends me is the belief that your pitiful human ears could discern any audible difference between a very well-encoded mp3 and a lossless file. You are not a dolphin or blue whale, friend. Take the Pepsi challenge.

Feb 5, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #92 of 218
Quote:

What offends me is the belief that your pitiful human ears could discern any audible difference between a very well-encoded mp3 and a lossless file. You are not a dolphin or blue whale, friend. Take the Pepsi challenge.

Without trying to make this a flaming thread, I will try to respond to this.

My pitiful human ears CAN actually dicern the difference between mp3s and FLACs. I think yours can't by the way you responded there.

If you read this thread completely (which I do not believe you have) you should've seen a link to a website which explains why mp3s are not perfect at all. There are audible artifacts which are not meant to be there. To give you the benefit of the doubt and say that you did read the whole thread I will give you this link without you having to search for it again.

http://ff123.net/index.html

Enjoy. Please be nice to us more sensitive beings.

Feb 5, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #93 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember the Pepsi challenge and I was able to tell very quickly which was CC and which was Pepsi. The warmer one was always CC.

At maxed VB MP3 using Lame it is fairly transparent and almost equal to a CD. But anything less and it becomes much more clear the differences, especially with good equipment with lots of detail, aka, W5000 and HA5000 feed by my Lavry.

Yeah, that's why I don't bother with VBR, even high quality. My Zune and e4c are enough to pick apart the issues with that.

Feb 5, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #94 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My pitiful human ears CAN actually dicern the difference between mp3s and FLACs. I think yours can't by the way you responded there.

O_O.....!

Friend and comrade, I must agree and disagree. Of course there ARE differences, if not we would only ever need one codec. But you encode a 320kb/s mp3 with lame38a11 and compare it with your favorite WAV and then come back here, with the fear of God in your heart, and tell me you could -hear- the difference.

Feb 5, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #95 of 218
Quote:

Friend and comrade, I must agree and disagree. Of course there ARE differences, if not we would only ever need one codec. But you encode a 320kb/s mp3 with lame38a11 and compare it with your favorite WAV and then come back here, with the fear of God in your heart, and tell me you could -hear- the difference.

Please read the complete thread, visit the website which I linked to and visit Hydro Gen audio sometime.

Edit: I am not going to try and convince someone who does not want to believe me. That will just be a waste of time. This was my last post concerning this matter. No hard feelings though.

Feb 5, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #96 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please read the complete thread, visit the website which I linked to and visit Hydro Gen audio sometime.

Edit: I am not going to try and convince someone who does not want to believe me. That will just be a waste of time. This was my last post concerning this matter. No hard feelings though.

LOL. That's really hearing the difference, buddy. I frequent HA and the consensus seems to be that well-encoded lossy files are transparent on portable devices. It's fun to pretend we're special, though.

Feb 5, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #97 of 218
Quote:

LOL. That's really hearing the difference, buddy. I frequent HA and the consensus seems to be that well-encoded lossy files are transparent on portable devices. It's fun to pretend we're special, though.

If you read the thread, you will find the EnYOiN posted ABX results showing that he successfully ABXed a LAME -V0 file against a lossless file. That's all we can ask from anyone who makes the claim that they can hear a difference.

Feb 5, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #98 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you read the thread, you will find the EnYOiN posted ABX results showing that he successfully ABXed a LAME -V0 file against a lossless file. That's all we can ask from anyone who makes the claim that they can hear a difference.

And that's very nice, but it's not what I was talking about. I asked him (or anyone here, for that matter) to compare a 320kb/s CBR MP3 encoded with lame 3.98a11, and say, honestly, they could hear a difference.

Feb 5, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #99 of 218
I've been encoding everything w/ LAME @ 320 CBR lately. I try to hear differences between the mp3 and flac, but I can't. Also, my hearing is only going to get worse from here on out, so I'm not going to worry about it. Lossy works just fine for me. Plus it's a hell of a lot easier back up your music when you don't have 150 GB worth of lossless files.

Feb 5, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #100 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglybootch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... Plus it's a hell of a lot easier back up your music when you don't have 150 GB worth of lossless files.

I don't see what is difficult with
smily_headphones1.gif

rsync -av --delete-excluded /pub/md/ /media/usbdisk

(not that mp3, flac or whatever makes any difference)

Feb 6, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #101 of 218
Quote:

There are exceptions to the rule. I don't see the point in continuing to argue with someone who was kind enough to provide an abx test for us. EnOYiN's abx showed he could tell the difference between the codecs. That should be good enough for all the skeptics.

I'm as pro lossy as the next guy and refuse to believe someone till they provide an abx test. EnOYiN is the only person in this thread who has provided proof to back up his claims. However you seem pretty bitter and I doubt even an abx test could satisfy you. Just because you can't abx it don't at like such a fool.

Feb 6, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #102 of 218
I find it quite insulting when people think I'm lying, but I can also understand why you wouldn't believe me. I have a bit of pride as well and I decided to take the ABX test.

First I decided to pick a track that affects me emotionally and that sounds great in all levels. In other words I picked a track which sounds better than most and one that I listen to frequently.

I converted the FLAC to MP3 (This keeps the FLAC intact while converting to MP3) I decided to try the best lame setting which I could find which is "-b 320".

http://xs512.xs.to/xs512/07062/Clipfgdgd.jpg

I then put the FLAC and MP3 into one playlist and ABX'd them.

http://xs512.xs.to/xs512/07062/clipsdsds.jpg

The result? Honestly, I didn't think I could tell the difference that clearly, but it was surprisingly easy, of course I'm very used to this song and I love it so it might be easier for me to tell ANY quality loss.

http://xs412.xs.to/xs412/07062/Clip_2.jpg

Code:

Code:
[left]foo_abx 1.3.1 report foobar2000 v0.9.4.2 2007/02/06 00:04:49 File A: D:\Music\X - Original Soundtrack 1 [VICL-60822]\02 Sadame.flac File B: C:\Documents and Settings\xuse\Desktop\Sadame.mp3 00:04:49 : Test started. 00:06:29 : 01/01 50.0% 00:07:54 : 02/02 25.0% 00:09:26 : 03/03 12.5% 00:11:46 : 04/04 6.3% 00:15:22 : 05/05 3.1% 00:17:24 : 06/06 1.6% 00:19:05 : 07/07 0.8% 00:19:59 : Test finished. ---------- Total: 7/7 (0.8%)[/left]

If you need any more info or would like me to try other tests I'd be more than happy to do so. I hope this can prove that there are people out there who can tell the difference between lossless and MP3. I'm also sorry for not doing this earlier it might of saved a lot of drama.

Feb 6, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #103 of 218
Uncompressed > MP3. It sounds better period.

Feb 6, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #104 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you need any more info or would like me to try other tests I'd be more than happy to do so. I hope this can prove that there are people out there who can tell the difference between lossless and MP3.

Just out of curiosity, did you enable ReplayGain in the ABX module when you compared the two tracks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back