mp3 to wav to FLAC
May 11, 2014 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

br34kb34t

New Head-Fier
Foobar allows you to convert mp3 to wav to FLAC - is this really improving the audio quality? I was under the impression that mp3 could not be uncompressed.

May 11, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 8
No, it's not improving anything. Once you have the lossy compression, it's no longer just like the original, no matter what you do afterwards.

It lets you go to .wav without a warning because sometimes you might need a .wav for whatever reason like including editing in a different program. Then once you have .wav or any lossless format, it lets you convert to any other lossless format without complaining. It doesn't know that the original wasn't lossless at that stage.

May 11, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #3 of 8
No, it's not improving anything. Once you have the lossy compression, it's no longer just like the original, no matter what you do afterwards.

It lets you go to .wav without a warning because sometimes you might need a .wav for whatever reason like including editing in a different program. Then once you have .wav or any lossless format, it lets you convert to any other lossless format without complaining. It doesn't know that the original wasn't lossless at that stage.

Thanks, I was pretty sure it wouldn't improve anything.

May 12, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 8
You can't put the water back in the bucket after you've tipped it out.

Wow that's the worst analogy I've ever come up with.

May 14, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 8
How about: it's like making a blu ray copy of a VHS tape? 
bigsmile_face.gif

May 15, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #6 of 8
May 18, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #7 of 8
I converted flac to mp3 once as a prank to a friend who as adamant on his capacity of hearing differences between those formats. Figured it was cooler than doing a blind ABX.

(Yes, he described the "clarity" and "openess" of the "extra details" he heard on the flac version versus the original 320 kbps mp3)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back