mp3 to CD back to mp3?
Oct 14, 2005 at 5:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Jakets

500+ Head-Fier
Okay so this is my situation. I have some music i downloaded at 320kb mp3 and i want to burn it to a regular CD and delete it from my HD. If at a later time i decide to re-rip it to mp3 at 320kb, will there be any signifigant loss in quality? Thanks
orphsmile.gif

Oct 14, 2005 at 5:41 AM Post #2 of 14
If you want to delete songs from your harddrive, then burn them onto a data cd (as mp3's) for storage. Don't make an audio cd out of them, and then rerip them. It would work, but there would be a hit in sound quality.

Oct 15, 2005 at 10:14 AM Post #3 of 14
if you just want to put them to CD for storage reasons, and don't want to play them through a normal hi-fi, then just create a data CD - burn them to your CD as an MP3.

Oct 15, 2005 at 12:06 PM Post #4 of 14
Yes, burn them on the CD as mp3s. Also this way you get 700MB of audio on a CD as opposed to 80 minutes on an audio CD.

Oct 15, 2005 at 12:24 PM Post #5 of 14
Transcoding through lossy is evil. Don't do it.

Oct 15, 2005 at 6:10 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakets
... will there be any signifigant loss in quality?

No.

Avoid it if you can. Don't if you can't.

Oct 15, 2005 at 6:19 PM Post #9 of 14
I second the burning of the mp3 cd. 700mb of data is much greater then 80 minutes

Oct 15, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #10 of 14
well see, the reason is like this. Most of my music comes off cd's i own, but i have a few albums from allofmp3.com and i would like to be able to pop them in the car stereo and stuff. I also have it all on my iPod, so i just wanted to know if i could delete it off my PC after i burn it to CD. Get what im saying? I just want a clear cut answer if it will really affect the sound noticably. Thanks guys.
orphsmile.gif

I also have a dvd burner and plenty of blanks, so i would burn dvd data cd's if i was going to archive.

Oct 15, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #11 of 14
Get an mp3-CD player in your car ideally, but you can use your mp3s to create an audioCD to play in it.

Any bitrate, 80 minutes is your only limit. Quality-wise there'll be as good as they're encoded.

Oct 15, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #12 of 14
Just be aware if you bought MP3s from AllOfMP3 there were possibly already transcoded. Some (though not all) will be 384 kbps freeform MP3 then transcoded down to your bitrate choice. So if you can stand the quality you already have an answer. That said you'll then be transcoding again and the 'secondary' artifacts will increase. If you only have a few albums a few CDRs or a DVD+/-R are probably worth it.

It's funny I suspect many of those that hate transcoding probably don't realize they may already have transcoded files. And although transcoding isn't ideal, it's not like lossy is all 'pure' to begin with.

Oct 15, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
...It's funny I suspect many of those that hate transcoding probably don't realize they may already have transcoded files. And although transcoding isn't ideal, it's not like lossy is all 'pure' to begin with.

I transcoded a lot of music (224 aac -> 256 vbr-mp3 w/lame), and I can't tell a difference between the two. Maybe someone else can, but I couldn't.

Jakets - if you have blank dvds, why not just back them up and also make audio cds?
Also, be careful deleting songs from your computer and then attaching your ipod...itunes isn't too friendly about asking before it erases your ipod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back