Mp3 sound qulity & iPods question
Apr 22, 2004 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

AndrewG

CAUTION: Incomplete trades
Aka: Boxboxbox
I'm considering buying a 4GB ipod mini, but I'm not satisfied with the sound quality of mp3s. What are the alternatives with iPod (wavs? but they take up a lot more space)? Is it possible to transfer my CD tracks to the ipod without a loss in music quality? I'm thinking that if I want higher quality, I should get a 20GB ipod, but the ipod mini is a bit more appealing.

Thank you!

Apr 22, 2004 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 13
the ipods play mp3, aac, wav and aiff (apples version of wav).

make of that what you will.

how are your ripping your mp3s?

i suggest you look at http://www.chrismyden.com/nuke/article.php?sid=97 and try the EAC+LAME method of ripping mp3s. try alt-preset-extreme or alt-preset-insane most people find these acceptable.

aac is IIRC an alternative codec to mp3 that supposedly offers better sound quality at a smaller size.

but i dont know a lot about it. try www.hydrogenaudio.org

Apr 22, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #3 of 13
The obvious answer to your question is to buy the 20 or 40Gb iPod and rip to lossless WAV files. That was certainly my intention when I bought a 40Gb iPod - I didn't think I could listen to MP3 files (I listen mainly to classical). However, having bought it, I did some tests (there is a thread if you can be bothered searching) and discovered I couldn't actually tell the difference between MP3/alt-preset-standard and WAV files, so I now rip all my files to MP3/aps and have hundreds more CDs on my iPod. Note that some of us have experienced problems using alt-preset-extreme and alt-preset-insane with the iPod (there is also a thread abou this), but alt-preset-standard does a perfectly good job in producing music that is virtually indistinguishable from the original on the iPod.

If you really want to listen only to uncompressed files, a 20Gb iPod or bigger (or a 60Gb Create Noman Xtra) is really the only way to go, but do try to compare MP3/aps with an open mind, you may be as surprised as I was.

Apr 22, 2004 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 13
I wouldn't use WAV files. To me, that defeats the purpose of having a portable mp3 player that can hold so much. Try 320kbps if you're that concerned, I doubt you'll be able to tell, especially in portable environments.

Apr 22, 2004 at 11:44 PM Post #5 of 13
But I can hold about 80 cd's worth of music in lossless AIFF(40 GB ipod), which is hell of a lot more than I could ever carry with a portable cd player. I use my ipod at work with a PPA amp and etys. If you're just going to use the headphone out, lossless is probably overkill.

Also, if you are going to use lossless with the ipod, use AIFF even on a PC. Itunes uses tags with AIFF but not with WAV. If you move a WAV to a different folder or drive, the tagging will be lost.

Apr 23, 2004 at 12:13 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by downingp
The way I have my 40gb ipod set up really works well for me. I have my favorite albums in WAV and everything else in alt-preset-extreme

That was going to be my original approach but then my pc crash due to a virus so I figured I might as well do them all in lossless. I also have a duplicate set in 160 AAC on my girlfriend's computer for her ipod. She's had a 10 GB in doesn't need lossless files (no amp and only px200 headphones). So if I ever want me whole collection at once, most of it should fit in this format.

Apr 23, 2004 at 2:04 AM Post #8 of 13
I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference between 320 kbps, or even 256 or 224 and WAV files unless you're doing a super anal a/b comparison (and maybe not even then). When I first got my ipod, I only encoded with AIFF, but I realized I couldn't really tell the difference between AIFF and high encoded AAC, so I chose the space saving method.

Apr 25, 2004 at 12:32 AM Post #9 of 13
Anyone know the links for MP3/alt-preset-standard and others mentioned here?

Apr 25, 2004 at 2:56 PM Post #10 of 13
Apr 26, 2004 at 6:03 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by third_eye
I am ripping into 128AAC, is there a big loss in quality compared to 160AAC? Since I have an ipod mini, space is an issue.

Big loss? Only you can decide for sure. Rip a few songs in both formats, listen to both sets of files and see if you can discern the differences between them. If you can't you might as well just stick with the 128Kbps AAC files to save some space on your iPod mini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back