mp3 server
Oct 14, 2002 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ingenious28

New Head-Fier
im currently in the process of looking for high end headphones/amp combo for use on my computer for listening to audio (dispite the name of this thread, these tracks will namely be ogg format, or even perhaps mp+ format ive been hearing about).
ive heard this is a bad source to be using, as it will have a lot of interferance from the rest of the computer.
this has given me the idea of building a "mp3" mini server for myself. this would only contain a hard drive, soundcard and mobo/proc.
my questions are these:
first, does anyone have a setup like this they are currently listening to and does it help improve sound quality
second, what is really the main component(s) responsible for producing interferance
thanx

Oct 23, 2002 at 6:32 AM Post #2 of 6
Well, I don't have a system like that set up, but I can tell you it will probably not alleviate any of the signal interference you may be getting from within the case. The only thing you are really leaving out is a video card.

Electrical signal aside, I believe the biggest culprits of noise within a computer case are the various cooling fans involved, such as the power supply fan, the cpu cooling fan, and the case cooling fan. For those interested, below is a link to some soundproofing of these computer fan parts. I have not had experience with these yet, as I need to put aside my lil' headphone hobby for awhile and get back to basics... but they look like they will work reasonably well.

http://www.quietpc.com/products.html

Oct 23, 2002 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 6
It is not possible to have a computer with just a mobo/cpu, soundcard, and hard disk. The computer requires a video card to even boot.

Like it was said- you've still got lots of other components to make electrical noise. If you want to try it out- one way would be to try and construct as good a faraday cage around your sound card as possible. It might take some ingeneuity- but I swear I've heard of some guy trying this before.

Also, another site to help quiet that beast down is:
www.7volts.com

But if mp3 playback is all you're after- you might want to just assemble a PC with components that don't require fans- a VIA C3 processor or an old pentium that only requires a heatsink will decode mp3s fine... stuff like that.

Ruahrc

Oct 23, 2002 at 9:22 PM Post #4 of 6
What is the motivation of going into all the trouble of building a dedicated computer just to play MP3? Wouldn't it be easier/better/cheaper just to buy a HDD based MP3 player?
confused.gif

Oct 23, 2002 at 9:39 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

It is not possible to have a computer with just a mobo/cpu, soundcard, and hard disk. The computer requires a video card to even boot.

Hmmm, I don't think so. With linux, I'm pretty sure there are ways to boot w/o a vid card. Don't remember how though. . .

Oct 23, 2002 at 9:59 PM Post #6 of 6
From my knowledge you can't boot any PC without a video card or integrated video chip. The operating system doesnt matter if you can't boot past the bios. Pull your video card and see what happens. It will emit a series of beeps when you turn the power on which tells you your video card isnt installed properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back