mp3 players
Sep 1, 2002 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

pi_314

New Head-Fier
I'm thinking of buying an MP3 player, but don't know which one. I would prefer to have a player with removable batteries, and one that doesn't crash all the time. The most vigorous activity that I plan on doing is just walking, so skipping while running or anything is not of concern. I also want to backup all of my music, so thats why I have an external hard drive in my choices below. Which would you recommend if prices were not of concern?

1) SlimX w/ external hard drive
2) 10gb iPod
3) PJB-100 20gb
4) Nomad Jukebox 3

Sep 1, 2002 at 10:56 PM Post #2 of 11
When I was trying to make the same decision as you I narrowed it down to a SlimX and a NEX II. I liked the NEX II because it could take an IBM Microdrive that would give me a gig of storage.

I decided on the SlimX. I like the idea that I can play CD's as well as MP3. I'm glad I got the SlimX because I don't think 1Gb would have been enough storage for me. With the SlimX, once you burn a MP3 cd, you can use it again and again. With an MP3 player, you must keep reloading the device to switch music.

I did have the headphone jack on the remote crap out on me and I had to get it replaced under warranty. What a PITA! Took forever because the distributor didn't give a damn about keeping me happy. iRiver was great and bent over backwards to make things right.

BTW, I think there's a SlimX for sale here. Check the for sale forum.

Sep 2, 2002 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for the input, but I'm leaning more towards the hard drive based players...

Taken that the iPod, Nomad Jukebox 3, and PJB100 all have 20GB of memory (except iPod with 10, the 20gig one is just TOO expensive), it is enough for my whole mp3 collection (11 gigs).

And the ability to not play CDs is not important to me. If I wanted to, I would've already ripped it and put it on the player.

Also, portability is not much of an issue.

Thanks again, and anymore input would be appreciated!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2002 at 2:59 AM Post #4 of 11
Another question:

How do the PJB-100 20gb compare to the Nomad Jukebox 3 20gb?

Does the PJB-100 have the freeze ups/lock ups/software bugs in Nomad 3? (or any other known bugs that may be of concern)?

Thx

Sep 2, 2002 at 6:35 PM Post #5 of 11
Well, if removable batteries are a must, that leaves out the ipod, but if not, definitely go for the ipod. I've had the archos recorder 20 and this sounds sooo much better. Plus IMO the reliability of the ipod is better than the others (based on what I've read). Do you have a PC od a MAC ? Are you going to be in a position where you won't be able to recharge the ipod? To me it justifies the $100 difference between it and the nomad 3. Not sure about anything concerning the PJB though. Keep in mind, YMMV.

Sep 2, 2002 at 8:29 PM Post #6 of 11
Well, the only reason I want removable batteries is so when the internal battery runs out (or if I have problems, which is the more likely case) I could get it replaced easily.

I have a PC, and I won't be in a position where I won't be able to recharge the iPod. And another reason that's keeping me from buying an iPod is because it's TOO good. It brings on more attention, especially since I'm still in high school and if anybody ever sees it, they'll ask to play with it.

I guess then the best solution for me is probably the SlimX (waiting for the IMP-400 to come out) since it's very stable (no hard drive related issues), has removable batteries, and won't attract too much attention.

Thanks though..
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2002 at 8:36 PM Post #8 of 11
I got a 6gb Nomad Jukebox a couple months ago and have been using at work almost every day. As a stationary unit it is great! The sound is excellent (using Koss PortaPro Jrs, no amp) the built in amp is very powerful. And it is really cheap these days. I have had no lock ups or crashes or anything odd happen with the unit.

It does have removable batteries and does not crash. But is imo too bulky (and heavy) for comfortable/convenient portable use.

Sep 3, 2002 at 5:24 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

...especially since I'm still in high school and if anybody ever sees it, they'll ask to play with it.

LUCKY!! The 20gig came out after i graduated high school (2002!) and AFTER i got into music. Yes, I just recently got back into music and a lot of types of music. Not just classical rock anymore. I take the 20gig lots of places and not many have asked about it.
rolleyes.gif
Wish they would. I love to show it off. The choice is yours. Let me know whatever you get and be sure and get a good pair of 'phones with them. Or are you afraid people will ask to play with it.
biggrin.gif
Just kiddin'.

Sean

Sep 3, 2002 at 11:26 AM Post #11 of 11
"Wish they would. I love to show it off. " Well, you probably wouldn't if they see that's it's so good, they borrow it every time you even have it with you.

I still think I would go for the SlimX, because lots of things get stolen in our school... ESP graphing calculators.
redface.gif

And that would suck for an iPod to get stolen...

"be sure and get a good pair of 'phones with them" Not to worry, I already have a pair of KSC-35s...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back