MP3 Players With Dedicated Line Out?
Aug 4, 2009 at 11:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Mo Killah

Head-Fier
Does anyone here have a list of Portable MP3 players with a dedicated line-out?
I know this question has been asked before, but I have yet to see any definitive
answers.

I am in need of a portable source to use along with a Ray Samuels Predator, Westone 3's, Um3X's, and M-Audio Q40's (upgrading to Senn 600/650 or Beyer DT880 soon)

I also know the iPod Classic does, what about the new Nano's. Also I am not sure if I want to use iTunes, so does anyone know which Sony or other brands are line-out capable? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 4, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mo Killah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also I am not sure if I want to use iTunes, so does anyone know which Sony or other brands are line-out capable? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

You don't need to use ITunes for Ipod's. There are a lot of other (and much better) alternatives (J-River, Mediamonkey)

Sound Quality might be a reason the choose something else though...

Aug 4, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #5 of 26
I have a couple of Irivers (H120 and 320)and have never understood why the line out is affected by the volume control. (Other than perhaps the ouput impedance is different in comparison to the headphone out)

Ian

Aug 4, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #6 of 26
I believe the volume is digitally set, I believe. Which then leads to the question of why people can't just use that as a replacement for the internal amp?

Aug 4, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #7 of 26
iriver h120, h320

Aug 4, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #8 of 26
Well if we're allowed to mention old players, don't forget the classic Jukebox 3 from Creative. Although it didn't have "a" lineout .... it had 2!!!

If you can get hold of one though, it isn't very portable ... more luggable.

Still love mine though.

Aug 4, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #9 of 26
adiZero;5903415 said:
You don't need to use ITunes for Ipod's.

What can you use other than iTunes on an iPod?

Aug 4, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #10 of 26
Thanks, so in keeping with the list, or possible options available, we have;
1. *Most iPods (Shuffle does not as far as I know)
2. Iriver H120 & H320
3. Creative Jukebox3
Any more? No Sony? That's it?

Aug 4, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #13 of 26
bba1973;5904361 said:
Quote:

Drag/drop for my 4th gen with Rockbox.

Okay, Rockbox very good, btw does your Zune have a line out?

Aug 5, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Okay, Rockbox very good, btw does your Zune have a line out?

There's been much discussion on the Zune's line out. From what I've been able to gather, there's a special pin combination (no one's figured it out yet) and it requires an external power source. I do have the home A/V dock from Microsoft, and I used it for my now defunct bedroom rig (the speakers were big and loud, but they sounded awful). There's a mini jack (same size as standard headphone jack) on the back of the dock, and I hooked up my earbuds to it. It actually sounded worse, most likely because the dock has an amp built in to it so you can control the volume with the remote. People have tried, but there's still no Zune LOD yet. The Zune's headphone out sounds a good bit better than the iPod's (4th gen is all I've had serious experience with), but the iPod + LOD sounds slightly better than the Zune, IMO. That's probably because it has more bass than the Zune, and my UHP336's don't have much bass to begin with.

So, yes, it does have a line out, but there's no LOD to hear it with. The Zune's headphone out is still quite good, so no worries there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back