MP3 players face noise limits recommended by EU
Dec 13, 2009 at 10:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

maporter

100+ Head-Fier
BBC News - MP3 players face noise limits recommended by EU

The European Commission is calling for a suggested maximum volume to be set on MP3 players, to protect users' hearing.

The commission wants all MP3 players sold in the EU, including iPods, to share the same volume limits.

EU experts want the default maximum setting to be 85 decibels, according to BBC One's Politics Show.

Bummer or what!

Dec 13, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 9
It's odd how these reports hardly ever mention the European standard EN 50332, which has been around since 2000 (with an addition in 2004), and which already imposes a volume limit on mp3-players - though not quite as low as 85dB. Still, people in the EU have been looking for ways around this limit for years, be it by using 3rd party software like GoPod for the older iPods, by hacking into service menus, or re-flashing with non-EU firmware, or simply importing players from outside Europe.

As such I'm not too afraid of the nanny state in this regard, they have not been all that successful in the last decade. Enforcement seems to be pretty lax anyway: look at them complaining about those 120dB players in the article, technically these have been illegal in the EU for years already, but still they exist.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 13, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #3 of 9
Now if only I could rid my 4th gen Nano if it's EU cap, I'd be a happy person - LOL.

No luck so far however.....

Dec 13, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #5 of 9
Buckster, All EU iPods are already volume 'capped', this setting is enforced in the firmware of the iPod. I.E. the EU firmware limits the max volume / loudness of my iPod compared to an American model.

It totally sucks, I can't use it outside or commuting with earbuds, it's that pathetically quite - Thankfully my EU Purchased Sansa Clip isn't yet volume capped !

Dec 13, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 9
I thought you can still go past the limit, but that it just warns you?

Dec 13, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just buy a LOD to a headphone amp and listen to 130dB :wink:

Roll on Christmas day, hopefully the other half has listened to my hints - LOL

Dec 13, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by maporter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BBC News - MP3 players face noise limits recommended by EU

The European Commission is calling for a suggested maximum volume to be set on MP3 players, to protect users' hearing.

The commission wants all MP3 players sold in the EU, including iPods, to share the same volume limits.

EU experts want the default maximum setting to be 85 decibels, according to BBC One's Politics Show.

Bummer or what!

Get an amp, and you can have whatever volume you want.

ED: I see I was a bit late on this one.
very_evil_smiley.gif

ED ED: If you're just needing volume, you could get away with just a Fiio E5 (you know, if your better half forgets).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back