mp3 player
Jun 17, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 13
I think the NJB3's HDD can be upgraded

a lot of people seem to like it's sound

Cowon's iAudio X5 seems to be getting a lot of great reviews also and is much newer, and has more format support

Jun 17, 2005 at 9:59 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssingh0
i think that things only 10/20gb

but, size doesn't matter either

Like Ddavid said the HD can be upgraded, or so I think.

If size does not matter it is a great device. If I am right the amp is supposed to have the most powerfull output in a DAP.

Jun 17, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #6 of 13
confused.gif
thanks for the recommendation. But could you choose from one of the more popular brands: ipod, iriver, etc.
smily_headphones1.gif

(something I could go to bestbuy/walmart and get)

Jun 18, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

confused.gif
thanks for the recommendation. But could you choose from one of the more popular brands: ipod, iriver, etc.
smily_headphones1.gif

From the more popular brands the RIO karma has a reputation by many hear in headfi as being the best sounding currently available DAP.

From the newer players I would go for the [size=medium]i [/size] players (iaudio x5, iRiver H340, or ipod photo):

Cowon iaudio X5: http://www.cowonamerica.com/products.../x5/index.html
This is the first player I would look for if I was to buy a DAP. I have not tried these player yet but I have tried the M3. I like the sound of the iRiver a little bit better than that of the iAudio M3. The sound is very similar with the only difference being that the iaudio has an edgier treble which some may prefer. The x5 and M3 may sound similar. THe x5 looks really nice, is very sleek, has lots of features, should sound great (if it sounds like M3 or better), and even plays videos.

iRiver H340:
http://iriveramerica.com/prod/hd/h340.aspx
In my opinion this is the second best choice, as it has all the features of the X5, a better resolution screen for movies. It also plays videos radio, and all the X5 can do except for on the fly playlists. This player also sounds great. It is also a sleek player, however slighly thicker than the ipod photo.

Ipod Photo:
http://www.apple.com/ipod/The best user interface out of the three. However it lacks features compared to the other two, and if like me you happen not to like it's sound you are stuck with it as the equalizer sucks. Quality wize the sound is on par with the other two, however sounds different, and does not move me like the other two (M3 and H340, no clue if x5 sounds like M3) do.

In the iaudio and iRiver you scroll through songs in a folder structure. I prefer this method of scrolling over that of the ipod if your music is well organized through folders. If well organized then you can scroll through you music very fast (faster than ipods already fast navigation with the scrollwheel). But if your music is not organized well, the ipods method of scrolling is better as folder scrolling takes long if not organized correctly.

I hope this helps

Jun 18, 2005 at 6:32 AM Post #8 of 13
The iRiver H340 and the Nomad Jukebox 3 seem to be the best sounding, although I think the Touch and Micro sound excellent too. Out of the ones I've heard, the iPods sound is definately the worst, with no bass and a very flat sound. There is something seriously wrong with its headphone amp. That said, the line-out on it is very good.

Jun 18, 2005 at 5:40 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver
I think it is the nomad jukebox 3. The player is huge compared to other DAPs. It is around the size of a CD player.

This is it.
http://creative.com/products/product...duct=296&nav=2

It is reputed to be the best sounding DAP ever made.

Other than that I think the Karma.

And after that the iriver, and apple players.

What's the difference between the Nomad Jukebox 2 and 3? And how do they compare to the Rio Karma? Sorry, I tried doing a search but too many results came up.
confused.gif

Jun 19, 2005 at 12:47 PM Post #10 of 13
I think theyre identical except for hard drive space, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Jun 19, 2005 at 12:53 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

confused.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Creative is either No. 2 or No. 3 in market share for MP3 players, they're a pretty big brand for portable audio.

Apr 16, 2008 at 9:20 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrcheese321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Other than that, just space - I think.

First, a disclaimer: I apologize that it has taken me three years to get to this thread. I was inside for a few years. Trust me kids, headphone theft never pays.

Now, for the meat of my response: The Jukebox 3 and Jukebox 2 are not very similar, acutally. The OS is different, for one thing. The case is different. Many (if not all) of the internal components are different.

Here's something else that's quite interesting: The Jukebox 3 is making a small-scale "comeback" of sorts, due to the availability of third-party batteries (to their eternal discredit, Creative ceased manufacturing the batteries for the Jukebox 3 years ago. For this reason alone, I will never buy another Creative product again... well, unless they make one that can toast bread. That would be pretty bitchin'.).

Not so interesting: A Jukebox 3 paired simply with a pair of Grado SR-80's is by far my favorite portable listening experience. The downside is that they're prohibitively large and ungainly for real portable use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back