MP3 player with long battery life?
Jan 31, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #3 of 13
And why do each player have a "battery life"? Doesn't that depend on what battery you put into it? Like you can put in a battery with a lot of juice that can last longer?

Jan 31, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #4 of 13
Lol...each player has it's own built in battery that is not removeable(for the most part).

It's not just how big the charge of the battery is, but also the firmware of the player.
Among tons of other aspects, codecs and bitrate, volume(of course lol), eq, and screen brightness affect the battery life.

Jan 31, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kbug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony A828 can play 32hours with one charge. I think that's pretty good.

Is that the rated battery life that Sony says?

If it is, the actual life will be lower.

Unless you listen to 128 kps mp3 files all the time and never use the screen.
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #8 of 13
Well all manufacturers seems to use the same criteria (128kbps, screen turned off) when measuring battery life. My S639 with medium brightness, all sound enhancement turned off, playing mainly -V2-0 files tends to last a week before requiring a recharge.

Jan 31, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #11 of 13
yeah, cowon ia7 seem the best on paper unless you consider panasonic players butmy 52 hour rated cowon lasted no longer than 35 hours on a full charge with all sorts of bitrate mp3 files while my sony seemed to get around 30 hours. my ipod touch rated at 22 hours got 28.

so im sure the cowon generally get better than what i got, but i see many many people mention that they get around 40 hours even without the extra card

on paper, cowon win but in real world performance they must be outdone by even the ipod classic.

panasoinc dsnap players are rated at over 80 hours for some and i have to believe them as i have owned panasonic md players before that exceeded their spec.

Jan 31, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #12 of 13
Here's what I measured on my Cowon D2.

D2 4GB Power Consumption With All Music In A Transcend 16GB SDHC.

16GB Transcend SDHC Curent Consumption From Data Sheet:
The current consumption is measured by averaging over 1 second.
- Before first command: Maximum 15 mA
- During initialization: Maximum 100 mA
- Operation in Default Mode: Maximum 100 mA
- Operation in High Speed Mode: Maximum 200 mA
- Operation with other functions: Maximum 500 mA
Durability: 10,000 insertion/removal cycles

Music: mixed of 320, 256, 192, & 128 kbps, all MP3s.
IEM - ER4p, 27Ohms nominal.
Power on all the time, continuous music playing.
Vol - varied from 16 - 26.
Video Display - 15secs On.
Brightness - 9.

3 bars left after ~6hrs & 30mins
2 bars left after ~12hrs & 20mins
1 bar left after ~20hrs
Battery indicator all red and flashing after 22hrs.
Low battery and shuts down after 23hrs.

Jan 31, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #13 of 13
I rate my battery life on the stupid owner factor. Examples: I leave the player running all night by mistake and then expect it to run the next day. Or, I just get lazy and forget to charge it, right away.

My D2 wins hands down, in this regard. I don't think I've been stupid enough to drain it dry (at least not yet). My Clip has been pretty good in that regard as well, but I don't use that as heavily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back