MP3 Player that can play monkey audio?
Dec 21, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #16 of 31
I encoded the same WAV file with APE and FLAC. Playing them on MediaMonkey allowed me to switch between the 2 quickly. I could tell a difference with my Logitech computer speakers. Both Ape and FLAC were the latest releases. I was really shocked I could hear any difference at all.

Dec 21, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #17 of 31
I noticed the difference with my sansa e280 running rockbox. I was playing all WAVs until I decided to go FLAC. To my surprise, I found FLACs to sound darker and not as clear as the WAV files.

Dec 21, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #19 of 31
please tell me people making claims about ape flac and wav sounding different are just joking

Dec 21, 2008 at 8:36 AM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nailzs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To my ears APE sounds better than FLAC.

Then you have a special set of ears!
Cause both FLAC and Monkey's Audio (APE) are lossless audio codecs, and if encoded from the same source store the exact same audio data.

Dec 21, 2008 at 11:51 AM Post #22 of 31
I sure must have a special set
jecklinsmile.gif

Dec 21, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nailzs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I encoded the same WAV file with APE and FLAC. Playing them on MediaMonkey allowed me to switch between the 2 quickly. I could tell a difference with my Logitech computer speakers. Both Ape and FLAC were the latest releases. I was really shocked I could hear any difference at all.

Monkey Audio..... Media Monkey... You don't see a conflict of interest?

This player can't be impartial. It should have recused itself.

Dec 21, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #24 of 31
I believe APE is a lot harder on the decoding cpu than FLAC, so your battery life will most likely be less using APE than FLAC. FLAC is also a little better with error handling.

They, should, and on my system, do sound the same.

I recoded all my APE files to FLAC a long time ago.

Jan 31, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe APE is a lot harder on the decoding cpu than FLAC, so your battery life will most likely be less using APE than FLAC. FLAC is also a little better with error handling.

They, should, and on my system, do sound the same.

I recoded all my APE files to FLAC a long time ago.

Actually it's good that APE doesn't use error handling. Because error handling means trying to sweep the errors under the rug and try to correct it and let it pass. APE will tell you that there is even one bit of error and then you will re-rip the track. Would you like the nervous system killed and when there are errors FLAC doesn't even tell you?

I use monkey because it compresses a bit better than FLAC.

How do you install the Rockbox for ipod?

Jan 31, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually it's good that APE doesn't use error handling. Because error handling means trying to sweep the errors under the rug and try to correct it and let it pass. APE will tell you that there is even one bit of error and then you will re-rip the track. Would you like the nervous system killed and when there are errors FLAC doesn't even tell you?

I use monkey because it compresses a bit better than FLAC.

How do you install the Rockbox for ipod?

Hmm actually I found that if there was the slightest error with APE files the whole thing just crapped out and stopped. Flac gives me a tiny blip at most, if I notice it I can re-rip the file at my leisure, with the APE.. that was it.. no more music for you till you re re-rip, which wasn't always convinient.

Plus the Squeezebox plays FLAC's natively.. and that rocks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm actually I found that if there was the slightest error with APE files the whole thing just crapped out and stopped. Flac gives me a tiny blip at most, if I notice it I can re-rip the file at my leisure, with the APE.. that was it.. no more music for you till you re re-rip, which wasn't always convinient.

Plus the Squeezebox plays FLAC's natively.. and that rocks.
smily_headphones1.gif

I consider that good because FLAC is like a human with a dead nervous system, even if there is an error it goes right past it and you may not notice it.

With APE, you are guaranteed that your file is good, if it plays, it's bit perfect.

Jan 31, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the difference between the nationite OS 43, OS 81, S:flo and S:flo lite?

Which one is the best for audio playback?

Does anyone know?

Jan 31, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #30 of 31
You should note that a APE compatible DAP / PMP doesn't play every APE file. Older players only support Fast Mode, while actual players also support Normal mode, a few also High Mode. Extra High or Insane Mode isn't supported by any portable player yet.
Besides Cowon and some chinese players also all rockboxed players support APE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back