MP3 PLAYER (formats supported and quality)
May 16, 2004 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Rink111

Head-Fier
Everyone here has been so helpful with my computer and home CDP projects, I’m very happy with the CDP and sound card Head HiFi members helped me select, so what would you all suggest for an mp3 player? Do they support wav or some other lossless CD quality format for playback, or do they only play crappy mp3's. I’ll be using it with a pair of CD3K's. What ones would you recommend that sound the best? Thanks

May 16, 2004 at 6:20 PM Post #3 of 7
The best portable MP3 player is probably the latest iPods. I don't own one but I've heard they sound great and they support ALAC (Apple Lossless) compression.

May 16, 2004 at 9:57 PM Post #5 of 7
I have tried the v2 and v3 iPods, Zen NX and Karma. I ended up keeping the Karma. I found the sound quality to be the best because I rip my cds into FLAC using EAC. I also like the interface the best out of all of them. Plus it has some pretty neat things that the other players don't.

I recommend that you try and find a place where you can try them out or try to find someone who has one and will let you take it for a test drive.

JV.

May 16, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #6 of 7
a VERY underestimated MP3 player is the creative nomad jukebox3. yeah, it's big and ugly, but it MORE than makes up for that.

-DUAL line outs (for amp users...you don't want to go through the internal amp, do you?)
-analog and optical recording directly into WAV up to 48kHz, and MP3 up to 320kb/s
-supports Wav, Mp3, and WMA (I think it supports WMA lossless too...not sure)
-IR remote
-22 hour battery life.... batteries are replacable
-easily upgradable standard laptop HD (Wanna have 80GB?)
-Firewire AND USB connection
-sound quality KILLS the ipod, karma, and all others I had access to.

plus the thing is built like a tank....I've dropped mine many times, still works great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back