MP3 player for jogging?
Aug 30, 2005 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

zdogg

100+ Head-Fier
OK, the I've got an Ipod 40gb photo and it's great for chillin', but now the wife wants an mp3 player to use at work (with a fringe benefit for me because I can use it to go jogging with, something I can't do with the Ipod). So I need a recommendation for a player that:
  1. Is as small as possible
  1. Is stable for jogging (flash player perhaps)
  1. Has a display screen (i.e., no Ipod shuffle)
  1. Has a minimum of 512mb but really more like 1gb or more

Price is not so important. What do y'all think?

Aug 30, 2005 at 4:54 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by zdogg
  1. Is stable for jogging (flash player perhaps)
  1. Has a minimum of 512k but really more like 1mb or more
What do y'all think?

If it's going to be used for jogging, then it's best to get a flash player. All players have at least 1mb. However. not many songs can fit into 1mb
tongue.gif
. Perhaps you meant 512 MB, 1 GB.

Aug 30, 2005 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 18
I have a shuffle that I use for exercising. I really don't see the need for a display. If I don't like a song, I fast forward. My wife has a Rio something. She never looks at her display either.

I think the shuffle is an excellent player. It is incredibly small and light. I purchased an arm band/clip case for it and when I clip it to my shorts, I don't notice it. The sound quality is decent and plenty loud. I use it with a pair of Sportapro.

Aug 30, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #5 of 18
I did not read carefully and did not see the work use part. Anyway, if you want a player for jogging, I would recommend the shuffle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drssyoon
I have a shuffle that I use for exercising. I really don't see the need for a display. If I don't like a song, I fast forward. My wife has a Rio something. She never looks at her display either.

I think the shuffle is an excellent player. It is incredibly small and light. I purchased an arm band/clip case for it and when I clip it to my shorts, I don't notice it. The sound quality is decent and plenty loud. I use it with a pair of Sportapro.

Aug 31, 2005 at 10:03 AM Post #6 of 18
But then the wife wants to use it for work. I owned the iRiver T10 for a very brief period but it seemed solid. It depends on your needs. The iaudio U2 is very compact, has a screen and all of the right bells and whistles, but theres no need for them if u dont use them. A bare bones shuffle might be your bet, but if the wife wants to use a player with a screen dont go there.

Aug 31, 2005 at 11:43 AM Post #7 of 18
Creative Zen Nano Plus 512MB or 1GB.

Great sound, easy to use interface, drag and drop to transfer music, long battery life and even 5-band custom EQ!

Aug 31, 2005 at 1:29 PM Post #8 of 18
Thanks for the great ideas guys; the iaudio, iriver, and zen are now high on my list to check out this weekend.

She's fixated on the display screen, so the shuffle's out (although I may just sneek one for myself
etysmile.gif
).

Are there any sony models that use memory stick media and sound decent? I've got an extra 1gb memory stick magic gate I could use. I could go to the sony site and check it out, but lazy...so...lazy...(snore....)

Aug 31, 2005 at 1:41 PM Post #9 of 18
Aug 31, 2005 at 3:12 PM Post #10 of 18
you know that there is a range of other Ipod type players like the M:Robe, The zen micro and the Ipod mini. they all are quite small but there are some really small sonys that have 1g onthem

Aug 31, 2005 at 3:48 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by msdthomas
you know that there is a range of other Ipod type players like the M:Robe, The zen micro and the Ipod mini. they all are quite small but there are some really small sonys that have 1g onthem

True, but I should probably avoid HD-based players cause this thing is going to get thrashed between my jogging and her casual disregard for the sanctity of electronic gear. I'll check out any flash-based players.

Sep 1, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by drssyoon

I disagree. I've used portables almost exclusively for jogging, going all the way back to the days of minidisc. Even back then, devices with displays were better for jogging than those without.

Simply put if I want to change something, the last thing I need is to be doing it blind. The more I can see, the faster I can get it done and not interrupt my run.

I don't see how that would change simply because Apple suddenly came out with a "cheap chic" devcie and a lot of marketing money. The lack of a screen on that device ("Ipod Shuffle") is a cost-cutting tactic that they have spun into "you dont need a screen".

Anyway regarding jogging MP3 recommendations, I've been using the IAudio U2 for the past 9 months and I'm pretty happy with that. Highly recommend it.

Sep 2, 2005 at 4:13 PM Post #13 of 18
I've had the I5 for about a year now, and really enjoy it (the U2 is almost the same thing, but integrated batteries don't sit well w/ me). So my recommendation also goes to the U2. I would simply, if you don't use the arm band, do something like this:

My modded lanyard

Sep 7, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #15 of 18
Xtatix Freefone is the best MP3 player for running or any sports
600smile.gif
. It's just a pair of headphones with 1GB flash built into the ear piece. No wires, really light, comfortable and built-in rechargeable battery. It's awesome. I got mine from www.xtatix.com. There's also a 256MB for only $80. There's something special about this player, I haven't seen any others like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back