Mp3 Player for IE8´s
Jan 6, 2010 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Coke42

New Head-Fier
I need help deciding, which mp3 player to buy. Just received my IE8´s yesterday and I’m unsure which one to go with. Important for me are at least 16GB of memory, a good SQ, many sound settings to play with and a long battery life. It should be pretty cheap (~100-150€/Pounds/~150-200$, maybe used stuff?). I already read tons of reviews and opinions but I´m still unsure deciding between the Samsung P3, Cowon S9, Meizu M6 or Sony E400. (Is it true that the Sony S- and E-series sound like the X-series? Does any one of the players hiss?) My favorite so far is the Cowon, since it has basically all the main points which are important to me. The problem is, i live in Germany and can´t find a store to try them out. Further I’m not ready to pay 200€ for the S9, since it sells for 200$ in the States and Amazon and a lot of dealers only ship to Usa.

Please recommend me one of these or tell me which ones to take into consideration. What do you guys think?

Jan 6, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #3 of 6
I was in a similar position - I have some decent headphones and decent(ish) IEMS, I ended up goin for the s9 as can play flac and long batter life

I think the most important thing is that after you have made your choice, don't look back. Other players will always have the edge in at least 1 aspect over the one you choose

Jan 7, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #4 of 6
Within that price Range the Cowon S9 or Sony S730 may be the best match and with a low noisefloor/hissing. Oh and I don't think the S series sounds like the X. I find the X to be a noticeable upgrade.

Jan 7, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #5 of 6
In theory: a lot of people like to do a Cowon/IE8 combination because their signatures complement each other.

However: I have auditioned the Sony X with my IE8, and it sounds fantastic to the n-th degree, like many have already mentioned here on Head-Fi. Highly recommended if you've got the budget for it.

Jan 9, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks everyone for your replies, although I´m still unsure about a better Sony (maybe i can find the X on Ebay) i think i will go with the Cowon because of the better battery life and the support of a lossless codec, as herrbbiiee said. Nonetheless, it would be interesting to know whether a notebook with the SRS Sandbox would be as great as the BBE settings (or vice versa).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back