MP3 player / DAP charging circuit gone haywire?
Mar 8, 2006 at 2:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

threepointone

500+ Head-Fier
My rio nitrus has been having a load of battery problems recently. In the last six months, it seems to be very sensitive to cold temperature changes and refuses to work at all at just moderately cold temperatures. Also seems to lose its charge really easily.

But yesterday after leaving it on the charger for a couple of hours, it was really, really warm, even in my cold living room. I unplugged it just in case it was going to explode or something, and came back ~12 hours later to check on it. The battery had completely lost its charge. I plugged it back in again, and tried to turn it on, but the firmware became very, very unstable and constantly froze on various screens, as if there was so much current going to the charging that there wasn't enough for the actual DAP operation. I managed to get it to stay for maybe about 15 minutes, came back, and noticed that the unit was very warm again. I tried to turn it off, and it crashed again, so I unplugged the player and reset it. Seems to work perfectly fine off the charger.

I know the lithium-ion battery pack it uses is different from the NiMH battery charging circuits some of you guys are familiar with, but do any of you have any idea what might be wrong? I'm guessing something has gone seriously wrong with the current/voltage/whatever limiter in the charging circuit. Could this just be a fried charging chip somewhere, a dead li-ion battery pack, or some other damaged component in the circuit?

I know it's probably pointless to try to fix a really old, now-worthless mp3 player, but I might try anyway if it turns out to be something simple. I might even mess around with it if I could make it use AAAs to power it and stick it into my little altoids tin dap/amp idea. . .

thanks!

Mar 8, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #2 of 3
How old is it? These batteries have a limited charge cycle expectancy. Something like 1000cycles from empty to full, or more if from half full to full IIRC. Both of my laptop batteries just died last month for this very reason.

The only solution is a full battery replacement which is why Apple got into trouble. Ipod batteries couldn't easily be replaced.

Mar 8, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #3 of 3
Likely the battery itself, see if you can get a part # off of it or determine it's some standardized form factor for replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back